Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

PlayBook suggestion for RIM

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but here goes anyway.  
If the PlayBook bezel is really fully touch sensitive, why not have gestures like swipes up/down on the side bezels or left/right on the top and bottom bezels be gestures that the apps can use, particularly for scrolling.
While swiping to scroll in the browser I sometimes inadvertently click a link or do something else I don't mean to do since I'm swiping right over them.
If I was scrolling down on the bezel, this would avoid this. 
Devs - any thoughts on this?  

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: PlayBook suggestion for RIM

It would be an interesting idea; swipe up/down on side bezels and left/right on top/bottom bezels. The problem I see is, though the bezel is large enough that it could be possible, its possible to trigger a system event if too "casual" and that could get annoying.

Also what about the future? It's been said that the "Tablet OS" would eventually go to smartphones. A menu button would replace the swipe down but if you add the other gestures then what? I could see using it but only for a few cases such as scrolling though windows.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
My Device: Z30

I'm surprised that so many people have problems with scrolling. I never unintentionally clicked on a link when trying to scroll - not even on Amazon where enough links would exist.

I think the problem with bezel-scrolling is, as rcmaniac25 already mentioned, triggering system events.
Furthermore what happens when there are more than one scrollable item on the screen? Should the developer add the scroll-feature to one scrollable (the main one)? Or the currently focused? Or not at all?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blog alopix.net
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I posted that a few months ago:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Suggestion/m-p/838889

Responses were mixed, but mainly - I think - because some people didn't understand/read it properly.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: 9550

@webbsites - sorry I missed that - I did search first.

It's just food for thought -- there would be details that would need to be addressed - but my thinking is that it's an otherwise unused gesture that could be used.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The touch-sensitive area in the bezel is likely too small to be very usable for this, unfortunately. It's only 27 pixels or less (doesn't appear to be an exact cutoff point) which is 0.16" or only 4mm.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

This area is to small for finger for length-wise scroll you will slip on either side and event would be prematurely ended, which would really frustrating
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

kaputafj wrote:

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this, but here goes anyway.  
If the PlayBook bezel is really fully touch sensitive, why not have gestures like swipes up/down on the side bezels or left/right on the top and bottom bezels be gestures that the apps can use, particularly for scrolling.
While swiping to scroll in the browser I sometimes inadvertently click a link or do something else I don't mean to do since I'm swiping right over them.
If I was scrolling down on the bezel, this would avoid this. 
Devs - any thoughts on this?  

You can kinda do that now. If you start on the screen and move to the bezel you can scroll in the bezel if you don't move to far in to the bezel.