Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?

Playbook FAQ

[ Edited ]

to compile without debug information.

Way too many duplicate questions going on, so I figured I would just make one thread to hold the most common. Feel free to post anything that comes up a lot and I'll try to edit it into this post and keep it updated.

Please note this is not an official thread and simply represents the collective knowledge of the developers in this forum.

Here are some useful articles that will help you get started:

I've submitted my app. How long will it take for me to know if it is approved?

Usually, Blackberry App World app approval should take around 2 weeks. 

How can I code-sign my app?

This thread provides a walkthrough for signing your app. If you have any issues, please read through the whole thread. Chances are your issue is discussed there.

I don't have Flash Builder 4. Can I develop an app using another apllication?

Yes. Develop your app using your application of choice (e.g. Flash Pro, FlashDevelop) and then follow this guide to use the command line to package a BAR file that you can submit.

How can I lock my screen orientation to landscape mode?

In your *-app.xml file under <initial window> make sure these values are present:

<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>

<aspectRatio>landscape</aspectRatio>

I don't see BlackBerry Tablet OS when I start a new Flex or Actionscript mobile project?

Make sure you installed (and ran) the SDK and Flash Builder as "administrator". 
Make sure during installation you select "English: International".

Will my MouseEvents trigger from a touch?

Every TouchEvent will also fire off a MouseEvent, so you should be fine. However, MouseEvents will not be abel to handle Multi-Touch input.

How can I access the GPS/Camera/Accelerometor on the simulator?

There is no way to access these with  the current simulators. Check this thread for a method of testing GPS provided by jtegen.

What size should my app's icon be?

86x86. Icons larger than this will not display. For more info read the docs.

You will also need 480x480 icon for display in Blackberry App world.

When trying to test my app on the simulator I get this error: "Error: Username or password is invalid or not specified or time on the device is out of sync."

Make sure that the time and date on the simulator matches the time and date on  your system. See this thread for more info.

How can I test an orientation change on the simulator?

Swipe up from the bottom right corner of the device. 

How can I navigate between screens in my app?

Navigating through pages/screens is simply a matter of adding and removing the relevant pages (children) as necessarry.

See this post for an example.

Where should I save my app data to on the Playbook?

1. files for unrestricted use by the user, and certainly if to be used with other apps, go in documentsDirectory or userDirectory, but there's currently no distinction between them so pick whichever feels best to you.
  2. if you don't mind some PB-specific support, consider adding one of the listed subfolders below the userDirectory, with things like File.userDirectory.resolvePath('photos/myimage.jpg').
  3. app data that is to only be used with your app should be saved in the applicationStorageDirectory

See this thread for more info. 

How to i build a .bar file for production? / My App name is myApp-debug how to get rid of the -debug?

(Burrito 4.5, courtesy of JRab)

Go to Projects > Export Release Build

From there near the bottom choose the option to "Export and sign a plat-form..." and then hit finish and your exported .bar file should be under the root directory of the project you just exported.

There will be a pop up stating it could not be installed just hit ok and ignore it for now.

You can confirm the bar file creation success by installing it on to your device via the command line:

blackberry-deploy -installApp -package [PackageName].bar -device [DeviceIP]

and clicking on it in the device and see it run.

make sure you are in the directory of your newly created bar file for the command line to work.

Or:

In FB4, in the project's Properties window, under Flex Compiler, you can add

-debug=false

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Playbook FAQ

great thread RottenOgre. I couldnt agree with you more. but right now im drawing a blank and anything i can come up with you have already covered. if i do come up with something i'll post a follow up. great read!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

I got one I've seen a lot:

I don't see BlackBerry Tabley OS when I start a new flex or actionscript mobile project?

Make sure you installed (and ran) the SDK and Flash Builder as "admin".
Make sure during installation you select "English: International".
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
RottenOgre

[ Edited ]

Wow, that's a lot of kudos :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks JRab, I guess this thread saves you the most trouble :smileyhappy:

Thanks jffurlan, added it in (along with a few more I thought of). The more generic problems we can get in here the better. There's no reason that the same questions need to be answered again and again.

Hopefully this thread will stay near the top so that newcomers will see it and solve their problem before making a new thread.

Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A

[ Edited ]

Very good idea RottenOgre,

i noticed a lot of dublicates lately as well. Hope this will help a little, would be great if a mod could pin this to the top. 

How about adding some general usefull links at the top like:

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Note that the latest SDK and sim are labelled 0.9.2, not 0.9.3.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
RottenOgre

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

I'd add something about:

• the landscape vs. portrait options
  • the splashscreen image (for which I still can't for the life of me get to work)
  • GPS info
  • Camera info
  • Notary info
  • Accelerometer info
  • Known glitches/bugs in the SDK/Simulator (e.g. web view crashes, skins on certain elements, the "3 saves to clear errors" if you have a webview referenced, having to reset the clock on the device constantly to keep it in sync after the VMWare player hybernates, etc.)

Cheers,

Steve

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

@RottenOgre, another suggestion to keep this (brilliant and timely) thread from being too noisy: don't respond to each suggestion directly.  Just edit the original post with appropriate changes, as you see fit.  That way people can stay subscribed (for those of us who like to get updates via email) without it being a burden reading too many "thanks" or "good catch" emails. :-)

M. Sohm, could this topic can be made "sticky" for a while to keep it at the top?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A

How to i build a .bar file for production? / My App name is myApp-debug how to get rid of the -debug?

(Burrito 4.5, courtesy of JRab)

Go to Projects > Export Release Build

From there near the bottom choose the option to "Export and sign a plat-form..." and then hit finish and your exported .bar file should be under the root directory of the project you just exported.

There will be a pop up stating it could not be installed just hit ok and ignore it for now.

You can confirm the bar file creation success by installing it on to your device via the command line:

blackberry-deploy -installApp -package [PackageName].bar -device [DeviceIP]

and clicking on it in the device and see it run.

make sure you are in the directory of your newly created bar file for the command line to work.

Or:

In FB4, in the project's Properties window, under Flex Compiler, you can add

-debug=false

to compile without debug information.

I also created a bit.ly for this thread to put in my signature which might also help to tell people to look here first. http://bit.ly/playbookfaq  

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.