Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?

Re: Playbook FAQ

Hmm, it appears I've lost the ability to edit the first post (probably after certain amount of time no more edits allowed) and as such won't be able to add any new FAQ's :smileysad:

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Have you tried starting an artical for this topic?  Top left of page:

Topic Options -> Start Article

It has different templates to choose from.  You might be able to maintain that section and then reference it as needed when people ask the same questions over and over again.

Suggest you test it out before posting that it is up in case you have the same timeout issues for updates.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Darn, I'd noticed the edit-ability-lost thing myself but forgot about it.  It's either the last X messages, or something just over a day.  Maybe a moderator can give you the permanent ability to edit that one.  (Or maybe John's idea will work.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Excellent thread!  I've made it into a sticky post.

RottenOgre, after a period of time you are unable to edit your posts.  If you have something you wish to add, send me a private message and I'll update the original post.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

You should add this, regarding where to save your data:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Application-sandbox-file-system-l...

Peter wrote a nice overview:

1. files written to only by the application, for use within that application, go to File.applicationStorageDirectory
  2. files for unrestricted use by the user, and certainly if to be used with other apps, go in documentsDirectory or userDirectory, but there's currently no distinction between them so pick whichever feels best to you. I'd use the latter, since it seems to me that with documents/  (listed above) as a subdir of the main shared directory, that's where documentsDirectory ought to point.
  3. if you don't mind some PB-specific support, consider adding one of the listed subfolders below the userDirectory, with things like File.userDirectory.resolvePath('photos/myimage.jpg').
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

You should probably add something about not mixing versions of the SDK and the simulator. I just went through a rather agrivating experience trying to test out the orientation change that was caused by this. I sure thought I had installed the newest SDK, but apparently I hadn't.

In my case, the event never fired when the simulator changed orientation. Its probably not a common enough problem to warrant an entry in the faq, but a general warning against mixing versions is probably in order.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I think it's a good idea to add this post to FAQ:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/SDK-beta-3-with-Burrito-weird-ins...

===================

SDK beta 3 with Burrito weird install issue

1) Uninstall, re install as admin

2) Run as admin.

3) When installing burrito, make sure you select "English, International" - not English, North America.

===================

This (install as admin option) did the trick for me on Win7 + Burrito. The official SDK install notes include only  "first run as admin" option, but not the "Install as admin".

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

RottenOgre wrote:

What size should my app's icon be?

86x86. Icons larger than this will not display. For more info read the docs.

And yet, this document claims "The standard size for the icon for a tablet application is 90x90 pixels." Which is correct?

/bw
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I think we should go with the latest AIR SDK docs, which say 86x86 with the main part of the icon image in a 77x77 region within that (though parts of it can "stick out" into the larger region).  The AIR stuff is more mature, has probably had more attention... that's my main reason for saying that.  The guys writing the docs have shown signs of cut-and-paste errors and such that lead me not to rely on something looks like it's just a copy of the older AIR docs which said the same thing.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!