Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
bytesm
My Device: Playbook

Playbook Qnx components: license

Hi All,

I'm going to build a multiscreen application targetting Playbook too.

Qnx components included into the Playbook AIR SDK are solid and flexible and I'm planning to use some of them for my development.

My question is: can I use Qnx components on the same project but running on other platforms (Android etc..)? I was not able to find any information about components' license in the SDK (just the Adobe license is included).

Anyone having some news?

Thanks a lot,

Leonardo

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Playbook Qnx components: license

[ Edited ]

Native C++ API is not yet available. QNX components would be at that level. Not certain if they will stay "qnx"ish on the PB or all will have the BB look and feel to them. "QNX" library for AIR applications have the BB look and feel. You might want to post and check out the AIR forum for the PB for more info.

New Contributor
bytesm

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick reply. My concern is related to the "License" to use those components on other platform different than BlackBerry (AIR Mobile projects though).

Leo
Developer
jtegen

When you install the SDK, there is a license. I have never read it. When the C++ SDK comes out, i guess the EULA would have something about distribution. Has anyone read the AIR SDK EULA?
New Contributor
bytesm

Hi,

I found this statement into the SDK License:

The QNX Momentics Tools contain various Third Party Software licensed under various open source licenses.  Such open source software and the associated open source licenses are identified in the QNX License Guide available at http://licensing.qnx.com/license-guide/ and the corresponding Third Party License Terms List available at http://licensing.qnx.com/third-party-terms/.

I had a look at the Qnx license documents and it seems that it should be safe to use Qnx components for free-for-end-users applications... Am I right? Can anyone point me to the right direction?

Thanks,

Leo

Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™

[ Edited ]

The EULA in the SDK installation dialog only mentions In-App Purchases/Products and use of the BlackBerry Payment Service and topics related specifically to those items.

I could almost swear there is an older thread (WAY older) that asks this same question, and got an answer. I can't find it though. Hopefully this one sheds some light.

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

is it forbidden to rebuild the qnx components in as3? that could lead to a reusable framework.
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Trusted Contributor
itcraps
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

would the component run on Android or iOS? cause it doesnt run on desktop
www.jackdevora.com
Developer
jtegen

Most components run fine on desktop or other devices. Some require PPS but there are work arounds to that. Some have posted how to fake out the existance of PPS.