Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

Playbook Screen Rotation Lock

Any one know if PlayBook will have a rotation lock feature?

IT IS A MUST for reading devices and tablets alike.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Playbook Screen Rotation Lock

[ Edited ]

there is no physical button to lock the screen from what i've seen from all the videos of them describing the outside buttons. the only hope for there to be rotation lock is via software where you cange change the option in the settings section in the device.

EDIT: I also want to add that you can lock your application's orientation. meaning that when a user is using your application, if they turn the device it will not rotate the application. At least that's the case in the simulator at the moment. but whats a bummer and a possible bug is if u minimize your application, and then u rotate the screen in the home screen, it will rotate your app no matter what aspect ratio u set it to.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikejpoole
My Device: 9500, PlayBook (arriving soon)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Does anyone know how you enforce the rotation locking? I would like to enforce my application to display in landscape mode. Does anyone have an example of the XML that should be used please?

Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

You can add the following to you app xml to prevent auto orientation:

<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>

Note that there is a bug in the current simulator which allows rotating the screen when the app is minimized. When you maximize it again it'll look weird.

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikejpoole
My Device: 9500, PlayBook (arriving soon)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks Willy.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Good to know that is a bug and not just a problem with my *-app.xml file.

So as long as we have <autoOrient>false</autoOrient> we won't have to worry about our app rotating?

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Posting here as this thread never received a final answer.

At the Dev Day yesterday, we confirmed that there is an orientation lock, activated by toggling the state of a toggle switch that comes up in a popup when you tap on the "double-rectangle" icon in the status bar.  This is the icon we've seen in recent videos and screenshots, which looks like a horizontal rectangle overlaid with a vertical rectangle.

When you lock it, the icon changes to show a little padlock in the middle of the rectangles.

You can, of course, access this icon to change the state at any time, by doing a top-corner swipe to make the "system tray" appear.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Thanks for the update peter! I knew u'd ask the tough questions -- I hope you had no mercy haha
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.