Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: none

Re: Playbook reviews hitting the web

[ Edited ]

To the guy that also had an even worse set up of the PlayBook. You're not the only person I've seen have issues like this.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

<*)))o><
- - -
My approved apps @ App World
New Contributor

FYI - Setting up my account on this forum followed suit with RIM's horrible set up process. After clicking my confirmation email... my account was set up as default SPANISH!!!! .. are you kidding me! .. wow!

The funniest thing to me in all of this is that no one has really defended the PlayBook. Instead they try to knock the company with over 60 billion cash in hand. They knock the very company that RIM is trying to emulate.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

For those tempted to respond to Applauz you should be aware he's an ex-RIM employee.

He claims not to have a grudge against the company, but his manner certainly gives that appearance.

It isn't that his arguments are entirely without substance. But the tone of his video from the outset was negative and subjective.

He claims the device was rushed to market and could be correct, then asks those downloading his app to wait for upcoming features.

Apparently its ok for him to ask people to wait for features but not for RIM.

For anyone else wondering why RIM didn't add email clients etc, its because the initial device was always targeted at enterprise. The last thing enterprise needs is a six month delay while they evaluate whether the device represents a security risk.

And I've had several days battery life if I use the device sparingly, so it was clearly designed not to be shut down but to be left on standby, which means it's only a second or two to reawaken.

Developer

[ Edited ]

"the very company that RIM is trying to emulate"

Is that really true? I don't think so. 

You certainly can't emulate a religion. And only someone with religious faith would stand in line for hours for a mobile phone.

Posters may feel RIM is trying to emulate Apple, but the truth is Apple and RIM produce largely complimentary products. Even the Playbook targets an entirely different market segment. And many people have both a BlackBerry for work and an iPhone for play. Enterprise TCO for the iPhone is way more expensive than BB.

Apple is king in the consumer space, where its main threat is Android devices from a host of companies. RIM still rules the enterprise space because it is still about the best communications device out there.

Apple produce great products for consumers who are not too worried about occasional lack of reception, or insecure devices. RIM makes great products for companies for whom instant communication and decent cell coverage is vital. 

The mobile device market is vast and there's certainly room for many players. Apple and RIM could carve up the market between them if they so choose.

Developer
My Device: Z10

@applauz: you shuld watch the last episode of South Park Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
New Contributor

Why should they be aware that I'm an ex-RIM employee.  Who in Waterloo hasn't been a RIM employee at some point ?  

I have no grudge.  ..  Because I'm honest I have a grudge ?    Because I worked there am I forced to be blind and love everything they do ?

I can back up any claim I have made with FACT! ... You cannot.

Let me break it down for you.

First ...   the app I have in the app store. There is no intent to further the app.  Will I further it one day ?  Maybe.   The app was ported over from an existing Flash game I built.. which does have a complete level, high score system, etc.  It was removed during the PlayBook build as I didn't want to waste much time on it. The agenda was to port over quickly and get a FREE device.  Based on the quality of 90% of the PlayBook apps available today .. it seems that other developers did the same thing.

I personally don't think RIM knows who they are targeting yet.  If they are targeting Enterprise then they have failed even more than I thought.  The marketing behind the PlayBook has not been for the Enterprise customers. Not even close.

My PlayBook battery dies in about 6 hours of use... and I'm being generous.  

This product failed as soon as iPad 1 came out and RIM's original belief was " There isn't a market for tablets ".  It was only after witnessing Apple's success that the thought process changed.  Then the chase began.  

RIM continues to fail because they don't start from the ground up and INNOVATE.  They chase the leader and always fall short.   STORM, STORM 2 = Complete Failures.

PlayBook is no different.  Except now it's a whole different ball game.  What RIM fails to realize is that it's not about the hardware anymore.  Its about the ecosystem and the apps that make it so successful. 

You can have an amazing piece of hardware... what good is it if there are no apps behind it ?

I'm not an Apple fan boy... I choose whatever device I feel works best for me. If something better comes out I will drop Apple in a second.

Apple has done an excellent job of integrating all of their products together.  All my kids have iPod Touch devices... My wife and I both use an iPhone.  We have Mac computers in our house... we have AppleTV in 2 of the rooms in our house. it only makes sense that the best tablet for us is the iPad as it integrates perfectly.  All our music is shared wirelessly to all the rooms in our house.

With the PlayBook the UI animations are great. The icons for areas like App World, the Audio Player, etc are horrendous. They wouldn't have been cool in 1992 let alone 2011.

The stuff QNX has done for this device I can easily say is brilliant.  They have done what everyone knew they would do.

RIM on the other hand has done what they do best and taken a great situation where the ball was in their court and found a way to ruin it.  

Everything RIM has touched on this device has been done poorly.  From the marketing we see to the execution of the project... it's been extremely flawed.  

Let's talk about what's been given to developers. The entire process has been amateur and unstable.  The "Open Letter To RIM" posting that came out was accurate.  RIM found a way to screw that up too..  They made a horrible environment for developers. They made tedious processes and have turned developers off from using their platform.

Can you believe that when developers first started signing up RIM wanted them to have a notary public sign off for the developer?  

All of this .. and I still haven't gotten in to the actual flaws of the device.

I don't doubt that RIM will make improvements with the device over time...  Unfortunately what they don't understand is that it will be TOO LATE.

They would have been better off keeping quiet and not announcing the tablet in September and consistently failing to deliver on all of their target dates.  They should have remained quiet and innovated something NEW from the ground up and released it when it was READY..  had a solid game plan and a decided target audience.  

Dislike what I say all you want... I'm dead on with everything I've said.

Developer
My Carrier: N/A

applauz - will you protect me from the hyper-masculine iPad brutes if they see me carying around my PlayBook in the "girly pouch"?

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer

@Applauz

as I said earlier, much of what you said is accurate. It's the way you said it that was notable. Entirely negative without any tolerance.

Was the Playbook rushed to market? Yes. The device was apparently still only in concept when announced in September.

Why then pre-annouce? (Which is un-RIM like). Because they wanted enterprise to hold off purchasing the iPad. Most companies have a significant lag on ordering hardware. From evaluation to ordering can take months. RIM stood to lose their chance in the market if they didn't annouce early. Companies have held off ordering iPads in order to evaluate the Playbook in association with their BB's via Bridge.

The strategy was so effective, Steve Jobs rushed the iPad2 to market. Without the Playbook my guess is the iPad2 would have looked more the like now expected iPad3 and been released later.

So its no coincidence that Apple released the iPad2 only weeks before the Playbook and then outside of their normal product lifecycles.

QNX and the UI built for it is great and intuitive, and yet you focused on device setup? Why? Setup is done once for less than an hour. And the bulk of our time with the device is after that fact. Yet you whine on about setup for most of your video.

As for developer facilities. I don't disagree. However, surely the fact you were getting a free device should have moderated your negativity toward the device. It didn't. The toolset will no doubt be improved over time.

The lack of an email client is obvious if you have the first clue about enterprise security concerns. Note that Sony lost millions of customers account data recently and had to shut down their network. You think that might have an impact on their revenue this quarter? Enterprise has to evaluate security and that also can take months.

Hence no email client. And 256 AES encryption on everything over BB Bridge. Its a remarkable strategy and well in advance of anyone else in the field. Once the bugs are ironed out BB Bridge will be the killer app for Playbook.

The good news is that the Playbook is great for enterprise. And enterprises typically have more cash to spend on apps. Though they're less likely to authorize spending on games.

Consumers will follow once the wireless devices are released later this year.

Despite the negativity, I believe the Playbook hardware and OS is as good or better than anything else out there (iPad included), and once the software arrives for the device will be a market leader. 

The opportunity for developers is now if you want to gain a foothold and beat the rush once Android apps arrive later this year.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

@applauz plenty of people have defended the playbook, but to make it easier for you I'll put it in list form.

1) The playbook has very good hardware, in fact the only issue I ever see brought up about the hardware is the power button. RIM have now raised the power button, so it's a non-issue. That's better than Apple's solution to their phone's dropping connection - "You're holding it wrong" or "buy this piece of $30 plastic to wrap around it" 

2) The playbook has a great OS which works smoothly and is very powerful, and has some clear advantages such as multitasking, flash support and OTA updates.

3) You compare the 2 min start up time to 40mins for the playbook this is a dishonest comparison because i) The playbook updates it's whole operating system during the start up process where as the iPad does not and ii) you already have iTunes installed on your computer. If you don't have iTunes already you HAVE to install it. This alone shows your massive bias. To an objective person being forced to install software is less invasive than setting up a blackberry ID.

"I'm not an Apple fan boy... I choose whatever device I feel works best for me. If something better comes out I will drop Apple in a second."

Yep that's not even remotely true, you are tethered to apple by ball and chain. That lovely integration you talk about means if another product was better you wouldn't get it because it wouldn't work with any of your current set-up. And you are literally the definition of a fanboy, you haven't had a single thing to say about apple that wasn't praise. Look at everybody else, they acknowledge the shortcomings of the playbook and decide on balance it's still a good device. You won't acknowledge that there is a single thing wrong with apple - that's dogma.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out MyBestShot for the playbook in Blackberry Appworld.