Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Playing sound fixed or still issue?

Hi,

I need to be able to play sound in my app, and i've been reading on the forums that MediaPlayer class is not working.. and some people say its been fixed? and some people say they used Sound class instead ..

I was not able to get MediaPlayer to play any sound, but Sound class did work in Flex builder simulator but NOT in the VMware simulator.. 

Anyone have any advice because my app uses quite a bit of sound and If i cant test it whats the point..

I am using the latest burrito version and SDK 0.9.3.201101191340

thanks

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playing sound fixed or still issue?

For basic sound needs, the Sound class works great.  However, sound in the 0.9.3 simulator is broken but works fine in AIR.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I've successfully been building and testing most functionality with 0.9.3 (SDK and simulator) and then deploying using the 0.9.3 tools to my earlier 0.9.2 simulator to test sound.

You would have to have access to the 0.9.2 simulator installer to be able to do this, of course, if you didn't have one leftover from before.  I don't know if RIM still has that available anywhere, but if a new release is not imminent, they could probably be convinced to put it up somewhere, maybe without linking it into the main page, for people to use just for testing sound.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

So right now its pretty much a guess if it will work on the hardware? 

Developer

It's always a guess if you don't have hardware to test on.  Everyone in this forum who has submitted is still just guessing, unfortunately.

But if you use 0.9.2 to test and the sound works, then I'm pretty confident it will work on the hardware too.

If you can use only 0.9.3 to test, then I suppose you're guessing, yes... I wouldn't submit something like that at least without testing on my desktop machine instead, using ADL.  To do that, of course, you would have to disable or work around the lack of QNX support, but again depending on that app that might be feasible.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Well right now when i use ADL and the Sound class it works fine.. so it "should" be good you think

Developer

@mediashock, yes, I'd be comfortable relying on that in the absence of any ability to test on 0.9.2.  I observed no differences in behaviour relating to the Sound class, other than when I attempted using it to capture microphone sample data at low rates.

Good luck with your submission! :smileyhappy: