Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Porting on tablet

Hi,

I want to port my application running on Blackberry Curve 8530 on Blackberry tablet device. What are the expected changes and where can I get the required eclipse plugin and development tools.

Is there a document or checklist which can help in effort estimation?

Thanks

Rishabh

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Porting on tablet

The porting effort would depend a lot on which SDK ((language, tools, etc) you choose to use for the PlayBook version.

If you wanted to make this effort immediately, your only option is the beta Flash SDK which lets you use ActionScript to write the code.  There are no other released SDKs available yet.  Announced future ones include a "native" SDK (C/C++), a Java one, and something called WebWorks which I understand allows HTML5 and Javascript to be used.

Existing tools and such are clearly shown on the main PlayBook development portal

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

When will Java version be released?

Will it be possible to port existing app on the same.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

No specific date has been set for the release of any new SDK, including the next release of the AIR SDK (Flash) which we're all waiting for.

There are also, as far as I know, no details about anything in those SDKs, nor really about anything else except what you can find on the existing development site which I linked to above.  Basically, if it's not mentioned there or stated in previous posts in this forum (which you can search for), there's little more than rumour or guess-work as to what will be available and when it will be available.  Sorry.

If it helps, the release of additional information is imminently expected by most of us, but RIM is a tad late, possibly because of the holidays, possibly because of the upcoming CES show, but most likely (I think) just because it's practically an impossibility for a new development like this not to experience delays at various stages and RIM has surely got their hands full getting everything they wanted done when they thought (read that as "hoped") they would.  None of this is a surprise to anyone with experience in R&D.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!