Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
Badge
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Problem installing new Simulator

Hi all,

today i have downloaded new playbook simulator,i create a virtual machine of it following all the instruction,like the previous one,after it is installed ,on reboot ,it freezes on this screen.i have tried to reboot and reinstall but it always freezes.it seems that there is something corrupted,but i have no clues to resolve it.thanks all for the help.

error.PNG

Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

Re: Problem installing new Simulator

[ Edited ]

OK, the image has been approved and I see that your error is the same or very similar to what I experienced on my install, though mine works.  It said things about corrupt, yet still ended up installing and running.  I am not sure why mine works and yours does not.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

I got that same error, still booted fine in the end though. I think this happens on the first boot.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
brentcameron
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I get a little farther. I notice that the errors only happen the first time you restart the simulator.  It is likely building the required disk or some such... but my installation stops on the BlackBerry PlayBook splash screen.  The little white bar continues to hunt but nothing happens for hours.

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Developer
shawnblais

Ya this new version of the Simulator is a mess... so buggy, if it's not one thing it's another. Last night was basically a complete waste of 4hrs.

I've had multiple lock ups, the clock issue, I have to enter password 2 times before it's accepted, and I've even had apps that rendered off center, like the top left corner was in the middle of the screen...

Retired
andyjin

The error message from the "mount" command about corrupted file system is not really error. This only happens the first time the Simulator boots up after the installation. The file system has to be mounted read/write to continue the initilization process. You can ignore this error.

You can check if you have given the simulator enought RAM (suggested 1024M), and you have enabled "3D Accerlaration" in your VM settings.

Contributor
Badge

[ Edited ]

thank you all for the help you gave to me.Yesterday,after many try to restart the VM,nothing changed.This morning,over my aspectative,it starts at first try.Very strange.I'd like to understand what is the problem that causes the simulator to stop,i'd like to have an stable simulator,or at least,some alert that explain the freeze problem(i think i will never stop simulator for the next month , for security :smileyvery-happy: ).
At the end it seems that to resolve this error we need to restart many many times,as many of you have said.thanks all!

Update: singing victory too early.Now i have the same problem as brentcameron.i will try other loong restart.

LAst Update: Ok,finally i can get the simulator working.Just restart 2 times and it works.
The last time i reamain all the times,when the splash screen loads,inside the VM,don't know if it's relevant,but is the difference between the prevous time.Thank you all for the support!

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I've never seen the new sim halt in the same place as the others have, but I have had basically reliability problems with the simulator startup on the old and the new (0.9.2) ones.  (Generally once it starts successfully it's basically quite reliable.)

With both sims, old and new, it's been intermittent.  Intermittent problems are really tricky to troubleshoot, and lead many people to leap to conclusions when it works one time through random luck.  They'll post and say "oh, it worked after i deleted all the files and reinstalled" or "it worked when i rebooted my machine" or "it doesn't work on the one machine but did on another" (when they just hadn't tried often enough on the old machine, and it was the luck of the draw).

I'm not saying that's the only thing going on here.  In fact, it might not even be what most of you are observing with the new simulator.

All I know is that on my setup, with the old or the new, the thing often doesn't fully launch (to the Navigator screen with my icons showing and the green wallpaper) on the first try.  I've tried to "reset" the virtual machine but generally (always? still too soon to say) that doesn't work.  Usually (but not always) if I do "power off" in VMWare, then start the VM again, it will work.  I think sometimes I have to do that two or three times, and I'm pretty sure sometimes I've had to wait for a good long time (a minute or two?) for it to make it past some initially "sticky" point, and then it works.  I haven't done it often enough to pin down which, if either, of those is influencing things, since once it works I obviously just leave it running for many days to avoid more troubles.

So in the desperate hope it can help someone: try certain actions (like VM reset or VM power off/on) repeatedly, at least three times, and be patient (like a minute or more of patience when it appears frozen, at least if it's actually using CPU). 

With any luck, that will get a few more people to a working state, and with the remainder we might start to notice a pattern.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
Andychen

brentcameron,

I got the same issue. Have you got a solution?

Thanks.

New Developer
oscoweb
My Device: Torch 9800

Brentcameron,

Same thing here. Running 092 on win7 and VMware 313.
It stops at the loading screen showing the "Nightrider-glow-thing" and doing nothing else.

Any suggestions?