Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Problem with 0.9.3 beta simulator: navigateToURL() fails if browser open

This new one was posted in the "aggregate" issues thread:

steve_web wrote:

Maybe it is just me, but it doesn't appear that you can launch a url in the browser more than once in the 0.9.3 simulator.

e.g. using navigateToURL(url); the first time works, but any other attempt while the browser remains open fails (e.g. no new browser window/tab... and no "overwrite" or prompt to load a new site, or info that the 2nd url could not be loaded)

I'm not sure if this is "expected" behavior or if this is a work in progress? (I'm still a bit new to flash development)

I've confirmed the same thing.  In fact, if the browser is even open already, whether from a previous navigateToURL() or just by being opened manually, then the page requested is not loaded.  All that happens is that focus switches to the browser (which is good, at least, in that you can see that the calls are executed, even though you can't test your actual links etc).

I'm quite sure this isn't the expected behaviour.  They've got it in effect communicating the target URL via the "launch arguments" when it opens the browser, but haven't implemented any inter-process message passing mechanism to send the link to an already open browser.  

I expect this will work just fine in a later version, using some PPSChannel or whatever to send the message.  It might even be working now on the browser side, and just not integrated into the navigateToURL() call, in which case they might be able to provide us with a temporary workaround using an explicit message.  QNX folks?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
gumpyboy
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem with 0.9.3 beta simulator: navigateToURL() fails if browser open

it frustating me! is there any workaround for this, or at least RIM peoples can confirm that it will be doing just okay in the device?? HELP!

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

No current workaround unless closing the browser each time is considered a work around.

Just hope it gets resolved in the next release (cross our fingers to be next week).

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

If it's not working the way we think it should in the real tablet, it's clearly a bug and would be fixed.

Far more likely, since we know the browser we have is an old/limited version of the real thing, it will work perfectly well.  I'm not concerned about it more than a tiny bit.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I am always concerned about what we find as a bug and that information getting conveyed to the proper person developing that API.  It should also be included in regression testing.

Please use plain text.