Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Problems with signing keys

I am having some issues with signing my apps. Everything used to work, but I recently moved everything to a new computer (and no longer have access to the old one).

I get the message "Error: Certificate chain not found for: RDK.   RDK must refernce a valid KeyStore key entry containg a private key and corresponding public key certificate chain."

Yet both the file.p12 and client-RDK-XXXXXXXXX.csj file are both clearly present (and in the same relative location that they always have been).

Another thread suggested looking at barsigner.db and barsigner.csk in the "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Research In Motion" folder. I found barsigner.csk to not exist, and barsigner.db to be an empty file. Copying these files over from a third computer allowed me to sign my project, but it showed up as a different file as if the signing keys did not match. This is fine for testing, but is clearly unacceptable for uploading to AppWorld.

Does anybody have any ideas of how to get out of this mess?

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

Re: Problems with signing keys

the client-xxxxx.csj is of no use, since it can only be used once. Working with the barsigner.csk and barsigner.db is correct

Actually, you should (or even must) have had a barsigner.csk, as it contains your private key. The barsigner.db should contain an ID for RIM which points to you. So if the files are empty or missing, there was clearly something wrong. Have you tried something strange like reuse your csj-key and deleted your old files or something?

Though I'm not sure if the signed bar-file is a correct bar-file, you could still try to upload, because the alternative will be to register a new key, sign with the new key, getting an error when trying to upload as an update ('check for thread Package ID must match' -> here), contacting AppWorld support to have them force-updating your file, having all the users who bought your app get a 'New version available'-message, but will have your app show up as different file anyway :/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Developer
shaan_softwaredvlpr
My Device: 9500 series

Hi

RDK & PBDT files are used to sign your computer with RIM , so if you use a new System than you have to order a new signing key pair to register on your new system , Vendor name should be same as in p12 file & in these files.

I hope this can help you.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

It looks like I am screwed (or more accurately my customers are). The other barsigner.db and barsigner.csk files that I have appear to be from a second set of keys that I probably installed when I was monkeying around with WebWorks on my laptop a few months ago, and using them will be as good as using new keys.

ADVICE TO RIM SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE:

Don't tell people to back up their signing keys. Instead tell them to back up the barsigner.db barsigner.csk and author.p12 files from the "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Research In Motion" folder. I had backed up my client-RDK-XXXXXXXXX.csj and client-PBDT-XXXXXXXXX.csj files instead which was apparently a waste of my time. These files were handed to me as the signing keys, and prior to it being too late, I had no reason to go digging through the AppData folder. At least with BBOS the .csk file was kept in the same location as the generated .cod files, so there was at least a hint that such files existed...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

[ Edited ]

that's why i said, try to contact support. i had the same problem as following:

- created an app in april 2011

- didn't do anything until october 2011, played around with NDK, created new keys, old keys lost (obviously, because the barsigner files were overwritten). at that time i think it was ok to have the same app with different package ids, as it wasn't restricted in app world (old Tablet OS 1.x.x)

- wanted to push an update for the old app in february this year (official: Tablet OS 2.0+), but uploading said 'package id must be same'

- contacted support, after a lot of back and forth they were nice enough to open the uploading for a small time slot. CAUTION: the app will show up as a different app, old saved data will be inaccessable in the new app, but at least your customers don't have to pay twice

- now using only the new keys

ADVICE TO RIM SO THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSE:

why not making it like apple and store the barsigner files directly on some server, allowing access only through your vendor account or similar. so that us developers can download the barsigner files on demand onto any computer we want to. plus, not making it so that there can only be one signing set PER COMPUTER. Apple allows storage of different certificate files, why not doing it as well :smileytongue:?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.