Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Protecting Application from Reverse Engineering

Is there any concern in a user being able to access the application code installed on the device?  If they can get access to it (like on a normal desktop installed AIR application), then there is the potential to decompile and reverse engineer the code.  Do we need to purchase a deobfuscation sofware to scramble the code to help prevent any potential reverse engineering of code?

There are commercial tools that helps prevent this.  Like the one from kindisoft.com.  Does anyone else have experience with this or other tools?  Should one be included in the BB install process?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Protecting Application from Reverse Engineering

To me it looks like it. I don't have a program to decompile .swf files to test this, but given that such programs are avaliable, and the swf is generated from the same compiler as stand alone air apps I would have to say yes.

The possible exception may be if the code signing tools do something about this, but as of now it is a bit too early to tell.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.