Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

QNX system native "back" navigation button?

[ Edited ]

Is there a QNX native "Navigation" bar to go back to parent views stages?

or should we stick with a plain old "Go Back" command button?

I hope this is in the works.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: QNX system native "back" navigation button?

hey,

this has been discussed a few times before. basically there is no nagvigation specific API from RIM. however you can create your own and preferably using the SWIPE_DOWN event. here is a thread that can explain in further detail and has some sample code that can get you going:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/App-specific-system-menu/m-p/6938...

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
AppStoreLover
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]

The problem I sense with SWIPE_START based navigation display is that, many users probably don't even know the bezel is touch sensitive, not to mention the swipe down from the bezel top event. Most users will probably look for a button on the screen.

Every application should show an alert dialog like "swipe down from the top of the bezel to see the controls." to educate the users.:mansurprised:

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

yeah me and james were talking about the user's lack of previous knowledge of the swipe down feature. some of the suggestions we came up with were having a small bar on top with an arrow on it kind of like the torch devices have. or even a tool tip in the first launch or two telling the user there is a navigation bar available at top.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Given that knowing how to use the other three sides of the bezel will probably be absolutely critical to making much use of the device, new users will learn it in, oh, about ten seconds.  Reports from the iPad world seem to indicate that certain novel gestures take even three-year-olds only a brief period of learning before they become nearly instinctive, at least if they are near universal.

As for the app-specific top-swipe menu, one suggestion I'd make is instead of always showing something up there that hints (perhaps too subtly to be helpful anyway) that there's a menu available, just show the menu briefly upon first entering the app, then slide it up with a quick tween.

In general, if you have hidden controls available on a page, it's probably a good idea to consider showing them briefly upon first viewing by the user, then fade them out.  This is, I believe, something that will be done by things like the built-in camera app, where I think the videos have showed us only two or three controls always on-screen, but there are several more (like flipping between front and back, or between video and camera mode) which will show up if you tap anywhere in the picture.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Having redundant access to a screen is not bad since one method is obvious (button) and one method is learned (swipe).  Additionally, users learn and work differently, so even if the user is aware of both method, they will have a preference to do so. However, if all the BB standard apps exhibit the same swipe behavior, the user will expect that from all applications (hinted during one of the webinars).

I would not worry about the application instructing a user about the bezel swipes.  Like BB phones when first uses or reset, after boot up, BB gives a quick little setup guide and instruction in how to use the device.  I expect the PB startup setup will include all the swipes and multi-touch instructions necessary for the user to use all aspects of the device.

Please use plain text.