Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

Question about SELECT behavior

Since you guys have QNX components for AIR I figured I'd ask:

What is the behavior of select dropdown menus when it comes to having a lot of options?

Is there a certain maximum amount of options after which it kicks in the scrolling thingy? Does it automatically revert to the scrolling thingy when it's not necessarily having a lot of options but the dropdown would go off-screen / get cut off? what triggers the list to appear above rather than at the bottom? Is it the fact that it would go off-screen or is this set programmatically by the developer?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide. I'm working on emulating all these widgets in WebWorks.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Question about SELECT behavior

@TheMarco, I haven't used DropDown, but the docs are pretty obvious about how it works.

You pick the size of the dropdown area (property rowCount), and you pick which way it opens (property showListAbove, default false).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Question about SELECT behavior

Great thanks peter!

I see that this API documentation pretty much tells me everything about any widget I want to recreate. Perfect!

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.