Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: RIM: Top things ISV would like for the PB in 2011

I actually don't think that it is all that critical to have a top class emulator once the the PlayBook is actually released. I would assume that deploying to an actual device will be as easy as deploying to the simulator, and will actually be a better way to test things. In the long term I think RIM is better of focusing on improving the APIs.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

daviesjm wrote:

some additional thoughts:

* A virtual lab where developers w/o the hardware can remote in, deploy and interact with their application on an actual device.  (this may be pie in the sky, and may be unnecessary with a better emulator)

DeviceAnywhere & Perfecto Mobile do this do this today with BlackBerry Smartphones.  You can read about them here:  http://us.blackberry.com/developers/resources/devservices.jsp#tab_tab_testing

I don't know if they will support the BlackBerry PlayBook, but it may be worth reaching out to them if you are interested.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Thanks to all for the great suggestions here.

As Shaun mentioned we are keeping an eye on this thread and will make sure your requests are shown to the right people within RIM.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It is still important to have a 'top class' emulator for a few reasons:

• Most new developers will evaluate the platform in part by the emulator.  They're not going to buy a device first to evaluate the platform.  If the SDK and emulator are easy to use and feature rich, this will attract more developers.
  • Larger development houses will be less likely to buy a device for every developer.  A few for development and a few for QA group.
  • It will hopefully be faster to deploy to a desktop emulator than to a connected device.
  • An emulator can install a preview version of the OS.  If there are issues with a new version, I would rather have it mess with a virtual version of it then my actual device.
  • An emulator that can have test scripts associated to it for things like GPS, accelerometer, battery life, etc. will be easier to test and reproduce issues with 'simulated' events.  It will be hard to test a GPS application if I have to get into my car each time.

I'm sure there are other valid reasons too.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
caneraltinbasak
My Device: Playbook

Blackberry & Adobe:

* Free development tools (Adobe Flash Builder or some other tool with debugging capability and syntax highlight and autocompletion)

* Improved linux support

* CPU&GPU profiling tool

Blackberry:

* Advertisement API 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

As far as I know, Adobe no longer support Flash Builder (Flex Builder) on Linux.  Guess the market was not large enough.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
caneraltinbasak
My Device: Playbook

jtegen wrote:

As far as I know, Adobe no longer support Flash Builder (Flex Builder) on Linux.  Guess the market was not large enough.

My requests were two seperate requests(development environment and linux), hoever it would be nice if they can solve both of them together. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

[ Edited ]

I guess what I meant is that Flash Builder is in Adobe's domain and RIM does not have impact on Adobe to tell them to re-support Linux again.  And RIM would not have their own Flash/AIR IDE to compete against one of their partners.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

jtegen wrote:

It is still important to have a 'top class' emulator for a few reasons:

i wonder how far RIM could get with porting the simulator (perhaps using Alchemy) to a desktop AIR application.  obviously, deployment targets for all 3 Desktop Oses would require native installers in order to employ native processes.

i have no solid proof, but i believe Flash Professional CS5 is largely an AIR application (at least it is on Mac OS X) which is evident by the way the application window resizes and by the way the window highlight is not uniform with other application windows when Exposé shows all windows.

it's definitely possible, although performance remains to be seen.  i would be surprised if performance was any worse than the simulator running thru the VMWare emulator.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

TheDarkIn1978 wrote: 

i wonder how far RIM could get with porting the simulator (perhaps using Alchemy) to a desktop AIR application.  obviously, deployment targets for all 3 Desktop Oses would require native installers in order to employ native processes.

This would be next to impossible, while maintaining anything resembling the current form of the simulator, I'm afraid.

The simulator is running a "complete" version of QNX, with many of the same components that are in the actual PlayBook hardware.  When you run the simulator and it's sitting idle, there are something like 45 processes and 167 threads running, performing all kinds of functions.

The System Tray (top menu bar) and Navigator (home screen) things are separate AIR apps.  The fancy windowing stuff where you get thinks like the QNXStageWebView showing in a rectangular "viewport" within an AIR app is handled by low-level QNX drivers. 

Communication between things depends (I think heavily) on the Persistent Publish-Subscribe (PSS) mechanism, which is not available outside of QNX.

I could go on at length, but suffice to say that outside of a QNX system, I strongly doubt anything attempting to emulate the PlayBook would provide much value, and almost certainly not nearly enough value to warrant the effort it would take them to build and maintain it.

Neither would it provide us much value versus just running code in ADL with a few conditional compilation hooks to stub out the PB-specific behaviour.

The only way for the simulator to get better is if RIM decides that it's actually worth supporting, and puts the effort into it.  There may be vast technical difficulties with them improving it; I don't know.  I rather think it's more about them getting over some internal disagreements about how valuable it could be, and getting everyone on the same page about it.

I agree with jtegen, that a well-done simulator could be an extremely valuable tool, for large teams, exploration of new versions, retesting on older versions (anyone want to try keeping a half dozen old PlayBooks around, not updated, for regression testing?!), and automated testing.  That sort of thing may not matter much to some indie programmers with simple apps, but it can make all the difference for a serious company or someone with a complex application.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.