Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: RIM: Top things ISV would like for the PB in 2011

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

I agree with jtegen, that a well-done simulator could be an extremely valuable tool, for large teams, exploration of new versions, retesting on older versions (anyone want to try keeping a half dozen old PlayBooks around, not updated, for regression testing?!), and automated testing.  That sort of thing may not matter much to some indie programmers with simple apps, but it can make all the difference for a serious company or someone with a complex application.

All excellent points, and well made.  Hope RIM is listening.  Indie devs with simple/casual apps may not care much, but the cost savings to an indie dev trying to bootstrap a business with any kind of investment discipline, aspiring to write commercially viable enterprise/utility apps for example, could be make or break.  I would think or hope that RIM has a compute farm for regression testing internal apps and important third party apps for compatibility on simulator instances, rather than relying on some big expensive hardware emulation box whose test time is contended over by multiple internal groups.  IOW, would hope they see internal value to a really good simulator as well.  But I don't know, maybe the compute farm is a bunch of PlayBooks and they can do all the instrumentation an profiling necessary for good software design unintrusively on them.

Anyway, +1 for a top notch simulator.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

ahhh... of course.  i always forget about the flash platform's single-threaded nature.  you're absolutly correct.  it would fail miserably.  hah.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

As detailed as possible testing checklist, ideally one that matches the checklist used by the Test House.

Of particular interest is a checklist of items that can be automated by the developer in QC scripts during the build process.  As just one example, if there are well defined things in the .bar manifest file that automatically fail an app, then the developer should have checks for those in his/her build flow, and not have to wait for the Test House to kick back something that had a build oversight.

Pulling any possible test automation from the Test House back into the developer's build flow will benefit both the Test House as well as the time-to-market of vendors.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Well defined escalation process for apps that go into limbo at the Test House, with a well defined chain of accountability, involving humans.  Apps going into limbo should be the exception, and exceptions should be handled by humans.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

UberschallSamsara wrote:

As detailed as possible testing checklist, ideally one that matches the checklist used by the Test House.

Of particular interest is a checklist of items that can be automated by the developer in QC scripts during the build process.  As just one example, if there are well defined things in the .bar manifest file that automatically fail an app, then the developer should have checks for those his/her build flow, and not have to wait for the Test House to kick back something that had a build oversight.

Pulling any possible test automation from the Test House back into the developer's build flow will benefit both the Test House as well as the time-to-market of vendors.

I like this idea. By now the Test House should have plenty of failure modes that are similar. Providing a checklist of these typical failures would improve quality and find issues ahead of time and may also avoid buggy apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

New feature request:

Ability to scale the simulator so the display size would closely match the actual PB screen size.  Very useful for GUI layout and testing.  If possible, scale based on developer's screen resolution.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pedgarcia
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Just a piece of information here. The VMWare Fusion on Mac is able to rescale the simulator the screen, just resizing it with the mouse. Very handy, although took me a while to figure this out :smileyhappy:

Cheers

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Bulk email notification to developer community when important announcements or product updates occur (e.g. SDK updates, new services, etc.).  Not all developers monitor the forum and blogs for information.  But everyone does  check their emails regularly.  Maybe in the vendor portal, have some kind of subscription checklist.

Please use plain text.
Developer
EraserX
My Device: Not Specified

@jtegen - I second that. I didnt know about 0.9.4 until a few days after release when I popped my head into the forum. Not every dev participates in the forum, nor should they have to. Emails are easy
Please use plain text.