Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

RIM stocks drop. Affect devs?

RIM stocks dropped 13% from yesterday and JP Mogran Chase reduced RIM's future value from $63 to $50. This has happened because of low BB sales and RIM lowering its estimated sales.

Personally I am a little scared about RIM's future prospects now. How do u guys think its gonna affect small developers like us??

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: RIM stocks drop. Affect devs?

I don't think stock prices are a good indicator of much that matters to those of us who aren't investors. (I am one, so I'm hurting, but that's another story.) Also, the PlayBook's prospects are only barely, if at all, being factored in by the financial world.

I'm far more concerned by RIM's inability to execute effectively on almost anything related to the PlayBook right now, than I am about what the market thinks about their smartphone sales. So I'm scared for the PlayBook's prospects, yes, but not at all because of what happened in the markets this morning.

Anyway, if you're into stocks, remember there's plenty of "blood on the streets" this morning. If you're just a developer, focus on improving your app(s) and keep your fingers crossed that RIM stops letting us down as much as they have.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z30, PlayBook

Time to buy then.

My Device: Not Specified

I could care less about RIM's stock. You know what affects me? Spending a month making a nice game, and then watching it get single-digit downloads each day despite a 4.5 star rating. I still don't even have the developer's PlayBook which they assured would be shipped on the 22nd. The whole PlayBook experience has been nothing but a list of reasons to discontinue developing on RIM's platforms.

But yeah, sucks about the stock. They're lucky it's as high as it is, considering their top device is roughly equivalent to an iPhone 3GS, and everything else is even farther behind.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

It was already clear that RIM needed to make big changes. They're working on those but they're not nearly all there yet. First and foremost RIM needs new handsets that are a match to the competition. Their current lineup is hopelessly outdated. Let's hope they'll announce some good stuff next week and things might pick back up again.

Im sure RIM's senior management knows that change takes time and therefore I have no doubt they've expected this somewhat. 

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

BTW GoldenJoe if you think this is bad you should see my WebOS sales...

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

RIM hasn't been wheeling out devices like they have needed to lately. I think this is changing now though. The low-end devices being rolled out with OS7 (was 6.1) are better than the top-end devices now!

There are a lot of changes at RIM and I'm under no illusions that while this is going on there is hurt to be had in profits. I hope that as we come to the end of next year, the investment and core changes will have proved to be worthwhile.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer

The QNX devices won't be available until after year end.

As stated, RIM is working on the core issue and preparing themselves for a good come back. Stock is 1/2 the price it was just 2 years ago. Seems like a good time to buy if you have the money.
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

I didn't mention that QNX devices were out this year. That's why I said that we'll only start seeing the investment pay off at the end of next year.

The only confusion is that they have renamed the upcoming 6.1OS to BB7 - which was discussed in yesterday's investors call.

The cynic in me says that this is to sell more phones rather than have folks waiting on the QNX phones.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer

Sorry, I was agreeing with you.

Yes, the BB7 thing is confusing. I don't think the average customer is waiting for QNX, but maybe they'll start wondering why they can't have the tablet functionality on their phone and then BAM!, RIM will release the QNX phones right after Christmas.