Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
fishdev
My Device: Playbook

Recommended SDK(s) and Microarchitectures

Hello, 

I am new to Playbook development and I would like to know: how are most people structuring their Playbook AIR projects?

Do you use Flex Mobile SDK, QNX, MXML, or some combination of the three?

Do you use Parsley, Swiz, Cairngorm or some other microarchitecture?

What considerations are made to decide between these options?

Thanks.

Developer
Brandon_Appetizer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: Recommended SDK(s) and Microarchitectures

Hey, I noticed your post way down on the list and didn't want you to feel left out on your first post. I think the question goes a little over some devs heads (myself included), especially since a lot of devs (again, myself included) were attracted by the free Playbook offer and haven't done a lot of Air development before.

So far, I've only had small projects and without Adobe Air experience when I started them, I haven't looked extensively at additional frameworks and libraries. I'll have a look at some of the resources you mentioned as additional challenges crop up, but so far I've been winging it and rolling my own solutions as needed based on common software development principles (eg. loose coupling, modularization, etc.)

Hopefully I've broken the ice and some other forum-goers will share their experience =)

----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer
thesmileman

There is a community library that jtegen has released you might look at that for some guidance.

Here is the link:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Updated-Community-Library/m-p/945...

Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™

I've been working with PureMVC. It's interesting to see the first project come together, but it can be very confusing in the beginning. For PlayBook specific apps, so far, I've only done pure AS3 using the standard Flash Player/AIR APIs and objects (sprite, movie clip, shape, etc). I've mostly stayed away from the QNX components in favor of my own, except ScrollPane and the List classes.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I would not call the library I have at Google code a micro-architecture.  It might get there with the things I have planned, but it is meant to get an app up and going with core services easier.  It will probably never be a MVC architecture.

For my $0.02, once you invest into a pure MVC framework, there is typically very little room around it.  Some architectures requires a fair amount of code to be "correct".  They are good for larger systems, but since this is a mobile device, lean and mean and fast is typically more important.  For me, the overhead of a full blown framework that enforces MVC is not worth it.  Also, mobile apps are typically smaller and perform just a few specific tasks.  Now dont get me wrong, one should still follow good coding and design patterns to make an app faster to develop and easier to maintain, but one does not need a framework to do that; but for some it might help.

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

I'm developing AS for about 10 years now and I'm still not using any(!) of these frameworks. Just because they have a high learning curve and I want the stuff to work and not being an investment wreck. Instead I've developed my own "framework" (or better a collection of interfering functions and classes) which fits my needs and works for me.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
thesmileman

jtegen wrote:

I would not call the library I have at Google code a micro-architecture.  It might get there with the things I have planned, but it is meant to get an app up and going with core services easier.  It will probably never be a MVC architecture.

I wasn't suggesting that is was I just wanted to mention it as it seemed to be one of the only references to an actual project here.

New Contributor
fishdev

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I can see that most have chosen to avoid the micro-architectures for now.

I am still looking for more input on choosing Flex Mobile vs. QNX or a combination, if anyone would like to offer their input. So far, it appears one person is using Flex mobile only and the Playbook AS3 lib looks like a hybrid approach to me.