Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Rename my application for me!

webbsites wrote:

Haha, what fun!

This would be cool with fireworks:

http://www.rphelan.com/2008/10/16/wave-reflection-pixel-bender-filter

Maybe even with a landscape image - the Sidney opera house, Hong Kong harbour, Golden Gate bridge, London houses of parlaiment....

(and by all means, add it as a feature for everyone to enjoy)

Cheers, - Jon -

Agreed. I don't know if I plan on adding background images because I really want to just be about the fireworks and I am trying to be different by having better fireworks not just images....but I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the reflection idea so you never know.

Please use plain text.
Developer
GoldenJoe
My Device: Not Specified

I'd be interested to hear how the device holds up in terms of performance if you have fireworks reflecting off of something like that. Early in development, I used an effect that would cause the background to ripple with distortion behind objects that collided. It looked neat, but neatly shaved my framerate by 10 in the emulator, so I'm holding off on anything too filter-intensive until I can verify performance on the real device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

GoldenJoe wrote:

I'd be interested to hear how the device holds up in terms of performance if you have fireworks reflecting off of something like that. Early in development, I used an effect that would cause the background to ripple with distortion behind objects that collided. It looked neat, but neatly shaved my framerate by 10 in the emulator, so I'm holding off on anything too filter-intensive until I can verify performance on the real device.

Shaders are finiky if you don't understand the hardware underneeth and how to optimize it. Also hardware acceleration is not enabbled by default so that may be your issue. Also it wouldn't be a true reflection (Now THAT would be intensive). It would be a mirror with perspective skew and then a simple distorting water filter.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

The technique described in the article is actually a PixelBender filter. With the dual-core processor and symetric multitasking of the PlayBook it should perform quite well.

Of course, until Molehill and PixelBender 3D arrives on Playbook it will run on the CPU, not the GPU.

Until we have physical devices....

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.