Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
andreybutov
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
Accepted Solution

Renewing expired signing keys.

I had one of the earlier sets of PlayBook signing keys; the ones with the 1-year expiration term. The certificate .p12 expired last month.

I read this thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/What-happens-when-the-signing-cer...

I do have the original barsigner.csk and the original barsigner.db files, so as per the above article, I should be able to create a new .p12 certificate that would allow me to submit updates to existing application, rather than be seen as a different certificate that would force me to submit all my products as new apps.

So, I made sure the original barsigner.csk and barsigner.db files are in the correct locations (on Windows):

C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Research In Motion

... and I ran

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -storepass <PASSWORD> -author "<My Company>"

This generated the author.p12 file, as expected,

But when I sign with that certificate (I do increase the version number in the bundle, every time), and I try to submit the update to the BlackBerry App World, I still get the infamous message:

"Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."

As if the certificate I signed with was a new key, and not based on the original .csk and .db files.

Any help would be appreciated! 

» Founder of Antair.
» Take a look at my recent work, and get in touch.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Renewing expired signing keys.

Have you read Mark's post here? http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/package-id-rejected-by-app-world/

It notes that note only the key, but also just the actual package-name field are relevant. Maybe you changed the package name at one point?

Also, do you have the original .p12 still? You could dump it and the new one and compare, to be absolutely certain the author name did not change in some way.

Did you ever request new keys? If so, is there no possibility you've messed up somehow and overwrote the original files with new ones?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
andreybutov
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Re: Renewing expired signing keys.

Good call!

It was a package name issue (a post-build optimization step added a suffix behind the scenes).

Thanks!

» Founder of Antair.
» Take a look at my recent work, and get in touch.
Please use plain text.