Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Zymatic
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Requesting help with app testing

Hi all,

Recently the free version of my app Touch Painter has received some reviews stating that the user experienced only a blank white screen.  I am unable to reproduce this behaviour myself and I have other reviews of users who are able to use the app with no issues.  Because there is no way to contact the reviewers, there is no way for me to ask them for any info to try to help my debug the problem.  Thats why I'm making this post.  I would like to ask the development community for help in figuring this out.  If any one can help me that would be greatly appreciated.  Also if you notice other bugs or just have suggestions those would be appreciated as well.  I would gladly trade some of my time for testing your app in exchange for helping me.  Please reply here if you are willing to help or send me a private message.

Thanks

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Requesting help with app testing

One thing I've noticed that can lead to that sort of behaviour is when developers require certain permissions, e.g. access_shared, but do not implement any error handling for the case where a user "denies" such access.  Any chance you're doing that?  People often don't think to test under those conditions.  You can disable permissions one at a time for your app, for testing, under the Settings in the Security -> Application Permissions page.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Another argument (if this is true) to have an API that can return the current setting for each of the action/permission states.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Zymatic

Peter,  thanks for this suggestion.  This is entirely possible to be the cause.  I never really thought about error handling for the permissions.  I will look into this.

Thanks.

Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Please use plain text.
Developer
Zymatic

So I just denied my app the permissions that it uses and tried it and I was able to get just a blank white screen to happen.  Thanks peter for you suggestion.

That being said I would still appreciate any testing/suggestions/constructive critisisms if people would still like to do so far me.

Thanks

Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I just downloaded the lite version of Touch Painter. One quick minor comment: the brush does not keep up with rapid finger movement - there is a rendering lag that might bother some users.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zymatic

Thanks for checking it out.  I will look into that and see if  I can reduce the lag.

Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Just to follow up:  It only seems to lag if you continuously paint very fast.  Probably most users wouldn't run into it if they were trying to actually draw something useful.  :smileywink:  But, maybe it points to some optimizations you could do.

Please use plain text.