Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055

Right-to-Left Text

[ Edited ]

Is there any plans to add right-to-left language support to fuse.ui.text.label?  I'm currently using TLFTextField to provide support for RTL in my apps, but the performance is extremely poor (barely useable at best).  I understand TLFTextField is extremely heavy, and am hoping for a lightweight solution suitable for mobile use.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

Re: Right-to-Left Text

[ Edited ]

might be a stupid question, but can't you use a classic textfield and set the scaleX property to -1? this should flip over the textfield et voila rtl text

or maybe this can help you, if TLF text is to heavy:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WSd60f23110762d6b883b18f10cb1fe1af6-7d4fa.html
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

do you mean right-aligned text? because with the old qnx.text.labels I think you could go deeper and access the single children until you would get a standard plain old flash.text.textfield or sth where you could easily do that

other than that, I also have an app in appworld where I needed a text starting from the right. Something must have annoyed me alot, as my solution in the end was to to use a label, add the text, get textwidth and textheight after setting the text, and calculate the position with those values (something like textlabel.x = parent.width - textlabel.textwidth - buffer). I think it was because the textlabel had to be as small as possible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Developer
jetstreamblue

RTL text is not equivalent to a mirror image, each character must still face the right way, just arranged from right to left.

RTL languages are not supported by classic text.

VENTURCON
Developer
jetstreamblue

No, not right-aligned text, but display of right-to-left languages such as Arabic or Hebrew.
VENTURCON
Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

RTL text is supported in the fuse components here - qnx.fuse.ui.text.TextAlign - https://developer.blackberry.com/air/beta/apis/qnx/fuse/ui/text/TextAlign.html

You will need to use: TextAlign.START.

Cheers,

Dustin

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/