Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Carrier: AT&T

SDK for on-tablet development

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone at Adobe or RIM has considered porting the AIR SDK to run on the tablet itself.  I can visualize making edits to the source code of an app, compiling it to a .SWF, and testing it in the browser while waiting at an airport.  When I get back home, copy the updated source back to the computer I do development on, sign it, and submit it.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: SDK for on-tablet development

Possibly confused.  The AIR SDK is running on the OS.  The BB SDK is an extension library on top of the AIR SDK.  Other than the size of the screen, what are you saying is not possible?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

hey,

@jtegen: I think what harry is asking for is a developmental environment to be set up on the playbook just as it is on windows/mac/linux. So hes asking to take the existing SDK and being able to develop apps on another platform besides the big three mentioned earlier.

@harry: definitely sounds like a good idea. would take out the need to have to bring your laptop around when it comes to developing apps for the playbook. its like reverse cannibalizing haha

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Personally, I think the platform is too small to do anything meaningful.  Even a 19" monitor is too small for the work I do.  If I could hook up a 4th monitor without straining my neck, I would.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Harry, I believe a significant portion of the tools are written in Java, so I would imagine what you are asking should be technically feasible as soon as the Java SDK is available.  Whether this would be practical or supported in any way by RIM is a different question.

Of course, as was pointed out, using the virtual keyboard for any significant work could be a fairly unproductive way to work.  There are little Bluetooth keyboards, though, which may help with that issue for anyone hardcore enough to want to continue development on the tablet itself.

Being able to tweak things or try small experiments certainly isn't a bad idea. 

I've already got my eye on the possibility of using Python, possibly through a layer that can talk to the AIR stuff (or bypassing it and going more native).  The full package is already "available" in the simulator, and with Python the compiler and batteries are included... whether it will be in the next or the final releases is of course an open question at this point, to all but insiders.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
tensioncore
My Carrier: Rogers

Personally I think this is an amazing idea, and professionally this is the type of project I could do. However with some limitations...any takers on starting and AIR BB SDK IDE for PB? ...lol ...that is a serious acronym mouthful!.....

I am serious.

(it would be an AS IDE, sort of like a really advanced text editor)
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Seven inch is just too small to develop anything serious. I use 2 monitors (15" laptop display and 22" LCD) and I still run out of screen space.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Carrier: WiFi

I agree, for me the more screen space I have, the better.

It would be good for people who can't stop coding and want to be able to do so on their subway ride but I have to say I'm not one of those :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Me neither, on the bus or subway I will be "checking the multimedia capabilities of the devices".

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.