Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

Sales

So how many sales/revenue are you all expecting from your apps?

How many playbooks do you think BB will shift?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Apps: Instruments | ARTPAD | Piano | Drums | Xylophone
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Sales

JeffLemon wrote:

So how many sales/revenue are you all expecting from your apps?

How many playbooks do you think BB will shift?

For me, the answer to both questions is the same. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I dont think anyone really knows what kind of market PB will be able to dig out.  They say a half-million units of the PB in the first 6-12 months.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

It will take an update or a sequel to realize its true potential, but I believe the first release of my game will do very well.

I can only guess at the numbers, but I expect the PlayBook to have modest but steady sales. 50K here, 50K there...over the course of a few months, it adds up. It seems likely that a good portion of it will be enterprise-driven. Competitive pricing and aggressive marketing could make it a choice tablet for consumers, but I don't think RIM will do that until the available App list is strong.

I've been keeping tabs on the known apps, and in all honesty, it's pathetic. This is the result of bad developers hoping to quickly cash in on the free PlayBook offer. Trash like tic-tac-toe and fart button are a detriment to the platform. This will be a problem for RIM, since Apps are what drive smartphone/tablet sales. That said, the low quantity and quality of PlayBook apps provides an amazing opportunity for developers who are willing to put in the time and effort to produce a quality product. RIM should promote these applications and work closely with their core developers to establish strong relationships and gain exclusive apps.

New Developer
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: ---

@GoldenJoe

I completely agree with you, detrimental apps bring problems to the platform in terms of customer liability and engagement, as well as market opportunity. I think RIM's best move is (as you have mentioned) create strong relationships with those developers that invest time and resources for creating great apps.

Thanks,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

GoldenJoe wrote:
RIM should promote these applications and work closely with their core developers to establish strong relationships and gain exclusive apps.

That's an excellent idea.

I think people should also realize, however, that RIM isn't doing this just to get the apps we're writing now.   That wouldn't necessarily be worth the cost.  Their investment is actually about attracting developers to the platform.  Once the product is out, and we have a stable API and real hardware to test on, many of us will be able to accomplish far more than we have been able to so far with the still-limited simulator, and that's when RIM's effort here will really start to pay off.

By the way, I wholly disagree with the "500K in 6-12 months" idea.  I'm personally confident that the PlayBook will do far better than such pessimistic predictions suggest, and I think people are underestimating both its attraction to businesses, and the attraction it will have for people who have thought only little about tablets before, but will be very interested in its phenomenal abilities as a "media consumption device".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Peter,

I think you have a great point about the Playbook being a great media consumption device but I think a lot really comes down to the ecosystem it can bring.

And you're right about RIM not doing this for the apps we've developed up to now. My first app that was submitted was so basic that I'm sure customers would have come for my head after paying for it. However, since then i've been able to polish it up and add lots of features I just didn't know how to do at the time. Now, as I work on newer apps I'm able to create far more feature rich and polished apps than I was a month ago. I can only imagine what myself, and others, will be doing with this platform in 12 months time as it continues to grow and we continue to get better at using it to our developmental advantage.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: ATT

well i personally am going to be a freshman in college next year, and if i sell even 5k of my apps i will extremely happy as all of it will go towards my future debt of college tuition!! Smiley Wink

My PlayBook Apps -------- My Apps
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

robertsteven192 wrote:

well i personally am going to be a freshman in college next year, and if i sell even 5k of my apps i will extremely happy as all of it will go towards my future debt of college tuition!! Smiley Wink

I think mean beer fund.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

I think I will sell my $0.99 app to every single Playbook owner.

I am estimating I will come away with a solid $200-300.

BOOSH! And or Ca-COW!

I kid, I kid