Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
p3pp3r
My Device: Torch 9800, PlayBook
My Carrier: I carry it myself

Samsung Galaxy Tab

I have been busy last few weeks coding my PB app but as everyone else have been quite challenged with a relatively "weak" simulator available to us so far and lack of ability to see the app on a real device to make decisions on font sizes and other UI aspects (the end to end user experiece).

So yesterday while at my local BestBuy picking up some nice boxing week LCD TVs and other things that were on sale ran into Galaxy Tab and it occured to me.... its 7in, has same resolution as PB and it supports AIR! 

So I bought it and thought would try to get my app working on it to see it running on a real device (of course sans the qnx controls and libraries).. Has anyone else done this? (used Android tablet as a dev device?) and if so any experience you can share? (I have not started porting yet).

BTW Galaxy tab seems like a really nice tablet (had iPad for some time and other than sleek UI and millions of apps didnt really like it) - I can see myself using it day to day --- to my surprise typing on a 7" tablet is really good in portrait mode -- typing with thumbs like on my BlackBerry and getting faster every time (typing on iPad was a pain - at least for me) -- but I cannot help to dream what the PB with specs millions of times more superior to Galaxy and iPad will be like !!!! Ahh....

----------
If you find this post helpful please "like" it and accept as a solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab

There are several devs around this fora who use their Android phone as dev device, so I think the Tab should prove to be an excellent temporary dev device.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab

if you're going to port Android apps to the Galaxy Tab, you'll want to read this:  Sizing Graphics Correctly Across Screens

i'm assuming the same capabilities.screenDPI bug with AIR for Android for the Galaxy Tab will not be present in the PlayBook, but confirmation would be nice.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.