Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Sandbox Beta Testing under 2.0

How would #1 benefit app testing? Or is it in relation to #2?

#2 would break the testing paradigm in place. I do agree that having a "coupons" feature would be nice, but sandbox was designed specifically for developer testing only. App listing in My World would be helpful as well, but may require updates to client and server software. I would suggest submitting as a New Feature request in Issue Tracker (linked in my signature). Would be a great couple of features to add to App World!

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

For #1.  If I add you to my sandbox, you can download any of my apps for free.  If I want you to just beta test one of my apps, then I want to restrict you to just that one.

For #2.  It is not the easiest thing to instruct a user thru the steps if they want to beta test an app.  The steps seem like a back door hack for developers and are not very user friendly.  Especually, since you have to do it several times to get the steps right.  There is no feedback that the user is in TEST mode in App World and then you get an error after you enter the URL in the browser.  This increases the number of support emails you then get, increasing the effort to do beta testing, and decreases the number of users willing to do the testing.  Beta testing increases software quality.  Right now, the steps make it difficult to want to do beta testing on the PlayBook.  In there was a BETA TEST APP or an tab added to App World if the user's BBID is in someone's sandbox, with only those apps the developer gave access to, it would be easier to beta test, control the period of time beta tests occur, and be automatically nofified when beta updates are available, then it would be easier for beta testing to occur. 

I will add the suggestion to the tracker. 

Retired
gbeukeboom

Agree with all your points :smileyhappy:. The sandbox accounts are meant only for dev testing right now, so I can see how they would be tough to use for Betas.

Rather than using the sandbox I think an alternate solution is needed to account for the 2 other scenarios:

1) beta testers - these users would need access to specific applications and get notified of updates

2) coupon codes - this would essentially just be a replacement of a payment method in App World rather than a new account type

The other request would be for a more intuitive way of knowing you are in sandbox mode so you can be sure the steps will work.

Great feedback!! Keep it coming :smileyhappy:

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
jtegen

Feature Request:
https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-540

Please vote if you like to have this feature.
Retired
gbeukeboom

It may be a good idea to split this up into individual requests. Product will have trouble taking multiple requests in one ticket.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
jtegen

Done. TABLET-541.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Well done, voted!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor
marlongame
My Device: Playbook

Hello

we need to release a new version in the app world (replacing the current one live) but when I try to release it as draft and download it, I just can download the live version instead of the new one.

is there any way to check the IAP of my new draft version?

Regards

Developer
jtegen

I created a new product in Vendor Portal so it had a new product ID. Not certain if that would work for you. Might be nice to be able to designate a file as a "beta version" like they do with "trial version", so you can get one this way.
Contributor
marlongame
My Device: Playbook

The APP have a shop creating a new id don't work because i need to create new items id, and i want to check the billing system of my  updated APP.