Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

dalaw
My Device: Bold 9000

Selecting a button without clicking on it

I have noticed in the sample FullRSSReader that you can select the buttons without actually clicking on them, but by clicking close to the buttons.  Is there any way to make it so that you actually need to click on the button for it to be selected?

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Selecting a button without clicking on it

Hey dalaw,

wow i've never noticed that before. If you go near it towards the bottom of the button and click it registers it as if you actually clicked on the button. but if you do it near the sides it doesnt register. i guess you can chock this up as a bug in the UI. i also tested this out in a new program and it also does the same thing.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

I suspect it's some intelligent input code for touchscreen devices. In the situation of a user tapping just a few pixels off the button when there's no other clickable items nearby it's pretty clear what the intent was. I've noticed this is also done on my Torch. I suspect it quite significantly enhances touchscreen usability, while seeming kind of odd when using a mouse.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Contributor
quentin
My Device: Flash Builder - PlayBook Simulator

I think you should look at Sprite's hitAreay property, I guess this is what you're looking for!

To enbiggen the zone where the user can click on a button, simply set its hitArea to another (bigger) Sprite.

I hope this helps.

New Contributor
PsykoJ
My Device: Not Specified

Here are some ideas and solutions that might help with this similar problem i had in the other thread...

Hope this helps...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Problem-with-Sprite-and-MouseEven...