Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
anoopb
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Send/receive UDP for UPnP discovery (SSDP)

Hi Peter9477,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I've already started working on another app (actually just started it). I've already reached out to some folks to see if there is a work around of another sort. Maybe i just don't need to use UDP to talk to the server and can get by without it. 

Really bummed about this lack of UDP support. 

Thanks again. i'll keep a close eye on this thread and be on the lookout for the changes. 

Great website by the way.

thanks!

Anoop

Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

anoopb wrote:

Really bummed about this lack of UDP support. 

I made some comments in this thread that might be helpful to keep things in prospective. In short, it's a beta SDK and a 1.0 version of the OS. I'm sure it will do great things eventually, but the SDK just isn't there yet.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anoopb

billfoust wrote:

I made some comments in this thread that might be helpful to keep things in prospective. In short, it's a beta SDK and a 1.0 version of the OS. I'm sure it will do great things eventually, but the SDK just isn't there yet.

Bill

no doubt. i like what's there in place already but this one little thing has just made me probably a bit more upset than i really should be. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I wouldn't be too hard on RIM in this case, as it likely stems directly from the fact that DatagramSocket isn't supported on mobile devices, at least by default.  "This feature is supported on all desktop operating systems, but is not supported on mobile devices or AIR for TV devices."

I'd expect it will be available in the native SDK, and possibly in some later version of AIR that's been customized a bit more for tablets, or specifically for the PlayBook.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anoopb

Well i needed it specifically for UPnP but it doesn't HAVE to be in there in v1.0

it would be nice but absolutely not necessary for submission. I just decided that. :smileyhappy:

So the project is back on and this has become a todo :smileyhappy:

thanks guys. keep on truckin!

Please use plain text.
New Developer
nolantouchstone
My Device: Bold 9700

Is there an update on this feature in the issue tracker?

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-31

@MSohm Can this issue be changed to public?

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais

You can totally do Udp device detection on the Playbook, just use a netgroup, my app does this right now.

Check this out http://www.flashrealtime.com/simple-chat-p2p-netgroup-rtmfp/
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Not sure if the ticket was made public, but the status was just changed:

That means in theory that they're now convinced the problem actually exists, and are starting to look into what to do about it.

In practice, I'm not sure they update the tickets in a timely manner, so it could be this stage was actually reached months ago.  No idea...  (In the past, some tickets stayed in triage until after the release of the update that fixed them.  I think they're doing better most of the time now.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

The ticket (see earlier links) for this issue has been closed today, with MSohm adding this comment:

We will only support this if Adobe does on all platforms.

In effect, this seems to be a conditional "won't fix", meaning (my interpretation) that it's basically in Adobe's hands, and if they implement it in the core code where it would presumably affect all platforms, then RIM's build of AIR for the PlayBook will eventually pick up that change automatically, but if Adobe leaves this unchanged then we won't get it either.  (Mark, if any of your guys happens to have encountered a link into the Adobe issue tracker for this request, could they or you please post it here for future reference?  Thanks.)

For what it's worth, we're getting close to a year since this was being discussed, and in the meantime we've now got the Native SDK which can certainly do UDP just fine.  If anyone really needs this capability, it could be implemented for AIR through an ANE (AIR Native Extension) using techniques that are documented in other threads and/or in the NDK forum.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

For an ANE, this would be a good place to start, as it already supports IOS and Android:

http://blog.aboutme.be/2011/12/14/udp-native-extension-for-air-mobile-now-with-android-support/

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.