Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

Sending email

hi,

can i send email on playbook simulator?

How to send email in application.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Sending email

Umm, I think the only way to send an email from the device right now is through the web browser. When the actual device launches you will be able to connect your BlackBerry device over bluetooth and you will have a native email client.

As for sending an email from an application, I believe you'd have to write your own email app within your app. Because there is no native solution, you can't just jump into the email client (at this time). Who knows if this will change in a month or so though.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

thanks jffurlan for reply,

can you post sample for sending email?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

You should look for a third-party ActionScript library that supports sending "SMTP email" or something like that.  There really aren't any available alternatives right now, and most of us who are interested in sending email are simply waiting to see what RIM announces or offers when the tablet is officially released.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

If you just need to send an email out (vs being an email client), you can write some simple server code and just POST the info from the client to your server script which in turn would send out the email.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

So the bottom line is that there is no EASY or NATIVE way to send email presently. If you want to do it, you have to find some way to do it yourself ; either sending raw SMTP to a mail server or creating a web service that can do it for you and senging it via HTTP.

The capabilities of the air ASK are nowhere near the capabilities of the Java SDK currently, and this puts a pretty severe limit on the apps that can be developed.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Oh, and I forgot to mention that a search for "email" turns up this "Email capabilities?" thread where this has already been discussed and answered.

I remembered that one when I recalled that you can't effectively do SMTP to just any destination unless you can look up the MX records for the domain.  That means John's suggestion of sending to your own server via HTTP, and forwarding the message from there, is really the only viable current option.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!