Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
alexbevi
Accepted Solution

Sending links/content via SMS/MMS/Email

Are there APIs for sending content via SMS/MMS/Email via the PlayBook? There doesn't appear to be via the QNX packages ...

Please use plain text.
Developer
gluth
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Re: Sending links/content via SMS/MMS/Email

As all cool things in API: coming soon!

I don't think that there will be posibility to send SMS/MMS - this tool will not support calling (or maybe I'm wrong - just guessing) , PIN and email - ofc, but SMS/MMS - who knows.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

If you're creating an email client, then you can just do your own SMTP and POP3.  There was some thread or discussion (or hopeful thinking), that email will be centrally located and therefore email configuration would be centrally located and accessible via an API, but nothing official yet.  It would make total sense to have this to 1) speed development, 2) email clients can be more exchangeable since underlying data remains the same, 3) central place to backup/archive email.

But in some of the details, BB phones can push an email to the PB to compose and then back to the phone to send (??).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alexbevi

Email is easy enough to do if not managed by the device ... it's the SMS/MMS functions I'm more interested in as these require some kind of gateway to send content through.

I've looked around and there are services with API's I can use (for $$$) but I was hoping there was something RIM was going to offer to facilitate sending content out via the PlayBook (even if it's just a generic API that authenticates a device so you're not just using it as a generic messaging gateway).

If that fails, anyone know of a good (preferably free, even more preferably open-source :smileytongue:) MMS or SMS gateway? I've looked into Kannal briefly, but I don't really know much about sending this type of content (and I'm not sure how it would work if you need the messages to be received by a device which is tied to a telco ...).

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Be careful.  Assuming you find a free or low cost gateway, the network providers (in US: Verizon, AT&T, etc.) make money on text messaging.  They would not be happy if an application goes around their paid services.  I expect that they will have hooks into the PB that will block "unauthorized" or "unapproved" applications from sending and receiving data that does not go thru their paid services.

The PB will be offered thru BB partners like Verizon.  The PB (as far as we know now) get paired with BB cell phones for data access.  So it might get blocked at the PB level or via the BB phones.

The providers usually say that they are protecting their consumers from unauthorized or unapproved applications eventhough they are available on App World.  US Verizon likes to block "unapproved" GPS applications on certain devices to "safeguard" their consumers.  Because some of these applications compete against their paid mapping applications.

If you do this, think about a proxy service via port 80.  Receiving might be a problem, because un-needed polling can really consume battery.  No API yet for push technology.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
alexbevi

Thanks John.

I was looking into services like http://www.zeepmobile.com/ or http://api.orange.com/en/all-api,3 as these are reputable services (at least that's what they claim :smileytongue:). I also saw that you can do this on the iPad using textie (http://textie.me/), though I'm unsure of the implementation, and whether it's available only via 3g or if it would work over wifi.

Based on what you've provided, it would appear that SMS/MMS is not an option at this point using the PlayBook.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Based on what you've provided, it would appear that SMS/MMS is not an option at this point using the PlayBook.

We dont know that either way.  I was just giving you some additional information to consider.  BB may require that it's providers (eg. Verizon) keep the system "open" and not allow them to block certain content from being passed.  I just did not want you to get your hopes on something that might get pulled away later on.  But since we really dont know what the policy will be between BB and network providers, I would say if you got a cool app that can leverage open/low cost SMS providers, go for it.

Please use plain text.