Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
Marker
My Device: Playbook

Set file extention to a specific app

In frustration over that I couldn't find a good enough txt reader (yes I still think notepad is the greatest invention ever), I wrote one myself and wondered if it is possible to force files with a specific extension to open with a specific app? and how to do that?

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)

Re: Set file extention to a specific app

The PlayBook has no file explorer, therefor it is not really usefull to bind certain extensions to certain apps. It is also not possible at the moment.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

This has been asked for many times to register an application to a file type (extension / mime type) that can manage it and then allow for a preference so the user can define which app should be open when a file is invoked. It would allow for more interoperability.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Marker

Well it looks like .doc .xls and so on are bound to DocsTogo just like mp3 and m4a file extensions are bound to the build in Music player. But it is not something that is open to the average developer then I guess?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Marker

Thanks John, seems like I was not the only one then. Anyway just something that would be nice to have and will put this feature on my Christmas wishlist instead.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik
My Device: PlayBook

I would also really appreciate to be able to register my app with a specific file type, this is already supported in AIR for desktop, you can specify file extensions in the main xml settings file of the app, sad the PB doesnt comes with this.
Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

You need to submit a bug request with a good use case, make the request public and have people vote on it. I brought this up to RIM months ago and it was something they were "looking into". No one else (developers) seem to want this feature, so I will vote if you post the bug report.
Please use plain text.