Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
asteroidg
Accepted Solution

Should every body pay for getting Adobe Flash Builder 4 Plug-in

Hi to every one.

I have a question:

I wanna develop apps for playbook, but i am dissapoint that i have to pay to get a serial for Adobe Flash Builder 4 Plug-in.

For standard edition is 249$ and for full version is 699$. That's horible.

Adobe have a program for students and unemployed peoples. Also they have a trial pug-in for 60 days .

Is there other ways to get a free Adobe Flash Builder plug-in or full version or even another way avoiding to buy something but still have ability to make app's for PlayBook ?

Thank you in advance.

Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Should every body pay for getting Adobe Flash Builder 4 Plug-in

You don't have to buy anything to develop for the PlayBook, you can see my How To at http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/HOWTO-Compile-and-Debug-without-F... . You don't get the full integrated IDE experience, but you can write your ActionScript in any text editor and compile/debug it with free tools.

--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais

You probably want Flash Develop, it's totally free and easily on par with FLash Builder.

You'll just need to point it at your flash compiler (which is included in your free FB4 trial), and then create some easy method for you to package to BB (ie .bat file)

Please use plain text.
Developer
asteroidg

Thank you. Yes you right. I have tested in eclipse the first sample app works OK. I didn't pay attention to the second way by avoiding FlashBuilder using command line. I will test that too.

Please use plain text.
eno
Contributor
eno

Shame Flash Develop doesn't run natively on Mac...

Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Carrier: WiFi

I'll echo the above posters about running it through the command line with free tools.

I also just want to point out that the Flash Builder offered for students is only offered under a non-commercial license (figured that out after wasting half an hour trying to decide whether to get it or not...) so it may not be applicable, depending on what type of apps you're producing.

Please use plain text.
Developer
raquibulbari

Can rim assist vendors by providing limited one year key for flash builder? It would be helpful for new individual devs. I know there are cons. Just a thought. Surely we devs can find a way.
----------------------
Press like if you find a message helpful
---------
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

That would be too expensive for RIM with no potential return. Who's to say that a free license to FB to a novice developer would ever produce an app that would produce revenue to RIM. There are other Flash building IDE (FlashDevelop and FDT) that can produce an AIR app, then use the command line tools to package.

RIM would say to use Cascades, that's free.
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Carrier: WiFi

FlashBuilder comes with 60 days free trial. For two months you can build a successful app and get the money to pay the license. If you are serious about app development of course.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
pgarcia
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi,

Keep in mind that you can also use FDT which offers a Free version with native support for BlackBerry development.

You can get the instructions about FDT use for BlackBerry Playbook development here.

Cheers

---
Paulo Garcia
Please use plain text.