Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Signing from Multiple Computers?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find a post that discusses this issue.  In brief, I have several computers I develop with, but it would seem as though I'm only able to sign from only one of those computers.  When I attempt to register the key on, say, my laptop, Flash Builder says that I must add additional users to use the key.

For the moment, signing from my primary computers is acceptable, but I'd like to be able to do so with my other development machines.

How is this done?

Thanks in advance.

Tajddin

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Signing from Multiple Computers?

hey,

the rule of thumb is one key per computer. so if you install the .csj file on one computer, you cant transfer over that key unless you contact RIM directly. Usually the best method if you want to switch computers is to order a new set of keys since they are now free. also keep in mind im not sure what happens to the previous .csj file that you installed on the older system when you order a new .csj file for the new computer.

usually it's best to stick to one machine where you sign all your apps. you can develop and package on other machines and do the signing on the one machine (probably using command line is favorable if you are going to take this route as it is more flexible). good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

JRab wrote:

hey,

usually it's best to stick to one machine where you sign all your apps. you can develop and package on other machines and do the signing on the one machine (probably using command line is favorable if you are going to take this route as it is more flexible). good luck!

Four words for RIM on this arrangement:  "Single Point Of Failure".  Computers die sometimes.  For casual developers it's likely no big deal to wait for a new key request to turn around.  For someone in production supporting an active user base, which we hope will be the mode some of us are in someday, the current arrangement could be improved.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@UberschallSamsara: you can always order backup keys just in case :smileyhappy:
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

You can sign on more than one computer by copying the  barsigner.db files and the barsigner.csk files over to another machine and either create another or copy the .p12 file as well.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

You can either order multiple keys to install on mulitple PCs or copy keys from one PC to another using the backup and restore steps outlined here:

Backup and Restore BlackBerry Code Signing Keys

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Backup-and-Restore-BlackBerry-Code-Sig...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor

CMY wrote:

You can sign on more than one computer by copying the  barsigner.db files and the barsigner.csk files over to another machine and either create another or copy the .p12 file as well.

Thanks.  I've located these files, but is there anything about them that's mapped to the hardware they are originally on?  I wouldn't want to find out the original keys are invalid for some reason after transferring them from the primary.

Contributor

MSohm wrote:

You can either order multiple keys to install on mulitple PCs or copy keys from one PC to another using the backup and restore steps outlined here:

Backup and Restore BlackBerry Code Signing Keys

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/Backup-and-Restore-BlackBerry-Code-Sig...

Perfect.  Much appreciated.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Thanks for replies guys - I typed w/out reading/thinking enough.  Happens sometimes.  :smileywink:

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

Just an extra note - as long as you have the .p12 certificates, you can sign on any computer using the appropriate storepass password.

In fact, you can create multiple certificates from a single setup with the same CSJ / storepass without any problems.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!