Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Simulate GPS and Accelerometer?

Does/will the simulator simulate GPS coordinates (direction, speed, etc.) and accelerometer?  I know VMWare will not be able to do that, but some other method?  Even another application when in developer mode that can run a script to simulate some actions (ala XML)?

Little bit a chicken or the egg situation were there are people who want to provide these applications before product launch, but might need a product to develop and test their application(s).

Developer
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Simulate GPS and Accelerometer?

I completely agree.

Access to the accelerometer feedback, and control of it through the simulator would make for far more feature rich applications especially when the hardware isn't available for testing - the chicken and egg situation as you describe.

Without these, developers will have to resort to alternative and probably less intuitive input controls for the apps/games.

A set of sliders on the simulator would be ideal for orientating the device (even if it doesn't physically rotate in the vmware player Smiley Wink ).

Just a suggestion. Smiley Wink

Greg

Developer
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Let's call this thread "Most Wanted Features in simulator", I'm dreaming about touch and swipe events.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Developer

I plan to simply writing a little script class to post coordinates at various intervals to the same event listeners it would from the normal geo location class.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

my bets going to be in the initial product launch, the only GPS / accelerometer driven apps will be developed by the BB Partners and not third party developers like ourselves. until we have the actual device it'd be foolish to produce an application based on it "theoretically" working with the gps/accel. chips unless you plan on it being just a beta item for a little bit in the beginning. i dont wanna be a negative nancy but if you look at this realistically this will most likely be the case unless there is a large enough gap between us (developers) and the consumers receiving the device - even then it might seem a little rushed.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

My hope is to have as much working that is possible via a simulation so that when we get our PB, it should only take a short time to verify the plumbing is working properly.  GPS on one of my apps is an additional feature, so I can release without and just have a quick turn around once it is verified with the actual device.  Still not at that point yet, but soon.

Developer

Also, having the ability to simulate GPS and motion makes it easier to test than having to drive around all over the place and make controlled testing.  Additionally,it will be easier to make a movie of the app under the canned simulation for marketing purposes.  When I get to it and it works, I will probably post the code for others.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

In my explorations of the internals, I've discovered enough to be very confident that it will be a relatively simple matter to simulate many of these things -- simpler than on any system I've seen before.  In fact, I'd say it's a certainty except that I have to factor in things like the possibility RIM may somewhat arbitrarily decide to keep certain things "closed" for now. (I hope not... the last thing we need here is any of that ol' Cupertino attitude.)

This sort of simulation could work with remote software, running on your PC, as easily as local.  That would allow you to build fully automated tests of complex sequences of user interactions and simulated real-world events like travel, battery level changes, and others.

By the way, is anyone convinced yet that there will be a GPS?  I know there were several very clear and simple statements to that effect in the last webcast, but I still fear we'll shortly learn that they just meant "the GPS on a tethered BlackBerry phone". 

The GPS is the only sensor I've seen no obvious sign of inside the system, unless it's that thing labelled Sapphire in the System Services menu that you can see in this video snapshot.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

ill admit that i find it rather unusual for a WiFi device to have a GPS on it with no carrier involvement but we have to wait and see what they do with that. Maybe they do what google does with trianglulating open hotspots to find where you are. as for the snapshot that list on the left looks like it could be scrollable and additional options coud be hidden underneath. Things like applications installed arent there either. so my bets going to be that list is hiding mroe options. just wishful thinking Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

They said that GPS will be included in the device.  Now, that does not mean that various network providers may close a feature down to only allow 'approved' applications to gain access.  A practice that Verizon in the US has done on various BB devices in the past.