Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: vodaphone
Accepted Solution

Simulator Errors

sh-3.2$ /Applications/Adobe\ Flash\ Builder\ Burrito/sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/blackberry-airpackager -package AirBall.bar -installApp AirBallBB-app.xml AirBallBB.swf -device 192.168.4.129
Using default icon: /Applications/Adobe Flash Builder Burrito/sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/../samples/icons/blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png
Package created: AirBall.bar
Sending Install request...
Action: Install
File size: 1084801
Installing ...
actual_dname::
actual_id::
actual_version::
result::failure

My Terminal... Whats going on? AirBallBB.swf is 1.1 MB, any help greatly appreciated! 

Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Software Developer

Re: Simulator Errors

Does it work if you rename AirBallBB-app.xml to application.xml?

regards

Levion

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Check the simulator IP address.

Is it all applications or just this one?

Run the script again.  Sometimes I run the script/command and I get those fields blank.  I run it again, and it works fine.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Nicholas, is this an intermittent error or does it happen every time?  Did you get it previously, or did it just start occurring?  Can you install a tiny HelloWorld-style app still, to prove that your basic setup is working and that the problem is with this particular AirBallBB app?

Note that the app.xml file name is irrelevant... I just tried with myapp.xml and no problems.

There is another thread about someone whose MANIFEST.MF had grown to about 1MB as a result of including something like 7000 data files, and there may be a bug involving very large manifest files.. any chance that's your issue?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Contributor

First, thanks everyone for helping me out. Happy holidays all. I first did a hello world with Flash Builder Burrito, which was successful and installed on my simulator without a hitch. Then I switched to the Flash Professional IDE, Installed the required extension, added appropriate AS3 class paths, but no luck when trying to test in simulator. I get thus error everytime - has never installed successfully. Excuse as I'm new at blackberry dev, but where can I find and inspect my manifest file? Thanks again guys.
Developer

It sounds like it's the switch to Flash Professional which is causing troubles, not your own code.  Still, to make sure, can you (if you haven't already) build that same Hello World app in the new IDE and try again?

It also doesn't sound like you are probably anywhere near having the problem with oversize manifests.  Still, to help you learn: the .bar file package that gets created is really just a .zip file with a different file extension.  If you extract that (make a backup, then rename one of them to have a .zip extension, then unzip, or just use your usual unzip application) you'll see two folders inside, one with the MANIFEST.MF file in it, and the other called air/ and containing all your .swf files and other assets.  The manifest file is just a text file that tells the system what it should expect to find in the .bar file, including "hashes" for each file so the integrity of the data can be checked as it's installed in the PB.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Thanks for that info, helped alot. So I created a quick new project, with just a text field on the stage (Flash IDE), and it installed to the simulator successfully without a hitch.

Using default icon: /Applications/Adobe Flash Builder Burrito/sdks/blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.1/bin/../samples/icons/blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png

Package created: HelloWorld.bar

Sending Install request...

Action: Install

File size: 9540

Installing ...

actual_dname::com.nicholasleby.helloworld.bGVieS5oZWxsb3dvcmxkICAgICA

actual_id::bGVieS5oZWxsb3dvcmxkICAgICA

actual_version::1.0.0

result::success

So I guess heres my next question - my other file is a simple air app, uses normal display objects, loaders, some standard components (UILoader, ScrollPane), 1 external Tween library... Am I not allowed to use that stuff, would that cause it to not load?

Sorry again, i'm new to blackberry development, been a Actionscript 3.0 for last 4 years, iOS programming for 2, so my code is sound, just think i'm missing something here as far as what I can or can't do with my app? Thanks again for any help provided.

Contributor

OK OK OK great news. After doing the HelloWorld, I decided to delete the airi, xml, bar and swf of old file, and regenerate them all to start fresh, and it works! Smiley Happy However here is a new problem, albeit surely a simple one, I set the stage to 1024x600, 24fps - target mobile device, but  in the simulator, its distorted - squishes it to about half?

See screenshot here - http://cl.ly/3kJo

Thanks!

Developer

I can't provide a full answer, but here are a few more notes.  (Edit: I took so long to write this that you posted your followup already ("OK OK OK great news") where you said it was now working.  I think some of this is still relevant so I'm posting as-is anyway.)

I've personally seen some intermittent "result::failure" responses which, when retried, succeeded and worked fine.  Now I use the command line stuff for everything right now, but mabye the IDE can give similar results sometimes.  (Since the IDE probably calls on the same command line utilities for deployment, that seems likely.)  So maybe just try one or two more times if you get that failure.

I don't think that using packages you aren't "allowed" to use would result in the "result::failure" thing... the app would probably not run, but I believe you'd get the success result from the installation in any case.  I may be wrong there.

An "external Tween library": if it's caurina.transitions.Tweener you should know that it's actually built into the PB already, for now, so you don't need to include the external one.  If it's not that one, consider switching to it to shrink your package size, or just because it looks like it might become considered standard on the PB (that's just a guess for now though).

What I'd do next, in your shoes, however, is to just go through a few more iterations, layering pieces of functionality from your larger app which failed, into a working "shell" based on the HelloWorld app which works.  Upload frequently and note when the failure observes.  Back off and confirm it works when that code is removed again.  Shortly you'll learn something you didn't know and will be able to start making faster progress.  That might be unnecessary advice to you in which case just ignore it. Smiley Happy

Developer

NicholasLEby wrote:

However here is a new problem, albeit surely a simple one, I set the stage to 1024x600, 24fps - target mobile device, but  in the simulator, its distorted - squishes it to about half?

See screenshot here - http://cl.ly/3kJo

Are you doing anything with scaleX/Y in your app?  Or with settings for stage.scaleMode, which might be involved?

When you say you set the stage to 1024x600, was that programmatically or using the apparently undocumented-but-critical [SWF] metadata tag?  See almost any example posted in this forum to see what that is.