Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

Simulator freezing

This version of simulator has a bug where it will periodically freeze (hang). We could not find a solution on time to fix in this release, but it will be resolved in the next one. For now just restart the virtual machine (reboot the sim).

Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

Re: Simulator freezing

Thanks for confirming this for us. I'm having this issue when changing to dev mode most of the times. 

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

willyyr wrote:

Thanks for confirming this for us. I'm having this issue when changing to dev mode most of the times. 

I've had two freezes: one on first startup and the second when moving to Dev Mode ( just like willyyr )

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

good to know it's a known issue.  the simulator froze on me while exploring the new settings panel.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Hey guys,

I thought I was alone hah. But I "workaround" of sorts is creating a snapshot in the simulator via VMware (when things are good like right after u set development mode) and whenever the simulator freezes just restore the snapshot. Its a lot faster than waiting for it to reboot. It'll freeze like before but at least now the wait time will be reduced. Hope that helps. Good luck!
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

Ah I can't edit on my but needed to add one more thing. I don't recommend the method proposed in my previous post to those that persist data. It will erase it after a restore. Its only good for those in early stages and don't rely on data being saved and retrieved.
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

Good to know you have found  a workaround that works for you.  Also good to note that it will kill persistent data.

Right now I am in serious testing mode of an application that uses a database that needs to be wiped out each and every time ( until I am through testing and need to actually keep the data ) so this might be perfect for me.  Thanks, JRab!

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

hey guys,

just an update in the simulator freezing department. i've gone a more than a few hours now since my last freeze up. it seems that when i click into the simulator after it loads my application it will have a high chance of freezing (always the case before when i had my freeze ups). however, what i've been doing instead is pressed on COMMAND + G to focus into the simulator instead of clicking into it with my mouse. Absolutely no lock ups (knock on wood) have occured since i started doing it. i'll keep at it and let you guys know if anything changes.

Also note that I am using VMware Fusion on a Mac. So the command to focus into a the simulator in a Windows environment will be different. Im not sure what the keys are but there should be a line of text near the bottom of the simulator telling you which keys to press to focus into the simulator.

hope that helps! good luck guys!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Please use plain text.
Developer
willyyr
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

I can confirm that using CTRL+G (i'm on windows) instead of just clicking prevents the sim to freeze. It still freezes but not as much as before. 

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
braden
My Device: Pearl 9100/Playbook (sim)

Does anyone notice their app crashing more in this version of the sim? (Where it just crashes out to the home screen randomly)?
Please use plain text.