Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Simulator freezing

[ Edited ]

@shawnblais, "known issue" doesn't necessarily mean "a fix has been found", nor even "the cause is known", merely that they observed the symptoms themselves at some point.

And "seems to affect everyone in different ways" is exactly when it's best to look for patterns in things like systems specs, patterns of use, and so forth.

It's also important to identify the distinct failure modes. So far I've seen at least three types of "freeze" failure reported, with only one of them being an actual freeze. 

There's the one where it sits forever on the BlackBerry splash screen, though that's not a true freeze as the little Cylon progress indicator keeps moving. (Edit: or does it?  I haven't seen it, and maybe just assumed it's not really a full freeze.)

There's the installer filesystem problem which I tied to allocating too small a virtual disk size. 

And there's the real freeze which occurs after everything has booted successfully, when running an app.  This one may be related to us changing focus back to VMware by clicking, with some reporting improvements by using Ctrl-G instead of a mouse click within the VM window.

And I'm not sure when Elena said it's a "known issue" which one of those she meant, or whether it was possibly even a fourth case.  Do you?  (Edit: it seems pretty clear from the first message in this thread that she meant the one we all see while running apps, not the "stuck at splash screen" issue.  So even if they know what causes the freeze, they may not have reproduced "stuck at splash screen" themselves, nor know what causes it.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
kylefowler
My Device: 9900

peter9477 wrote:

kylefowler wrote:

... simulator is awful, cant even get past the loading screen it just sits at "blackberry playbook" forever.

Tried most things on all the threads, anyone find any way around the never ending boot screen?

I did... it just worked for me.  I guess I'm the lucky one.

Of course, it's not likely luck, just whatever my particular configuration is.  As I've noted, I'm using Windows 7 pro 32-bit, with VMware player 3.1.3.

If people who are having problems insist on never reporting anything about their own particular configuration, it may be next to impossible for anyone to figure out what all the failures have in common...

Sorry - Ive got the same config that you do. Maybe ill try messing around with different vmware player versions and see what happens.

Like all of my posts
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

For those who affetced by freezing you can try to switch # of processorts to two

in vmware and see if it helps (you may get the other issue though - no mouse on boot)

Contributor
leff
My Device: Not Specified

Fixed my startup screen "freeze" (where the white light under the logo oscillates back and forth forever) by freeing space in the workstation partition that held VMWare image.

Contributor
Reveller
My Device: Playbook simulator

Same issues.

1) Freezing when clicking into simulator and when turning on dev mode

2) Cannot use 9.2 SDK with 9.1 simulator

Windows XP 32-bit, 9.2 SDK

Contributor
Reveller

Is it possible to take a VMWare snapshot with out an ACE instance of VMWare?

Looks like you need to upgrade to VMWare ACE.

Contributor
Reveller

[ Edited ]

Anyone know how to create a project for 9.1 simulator in Burrito?

I tried to create a Flex Mobile Project and configure the Flex Compiler to use 9.1, but the app wouldn't connect to the 9.1 simulator.

The only time I had success with 9.1 was using Flash Buidler 4.1 (no Burrito), and creating a Flex Project using AIR and set to the Blackberry SDK 9.1, but then I couldn't use Hero SDK features.

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

[ Edited ]

Ieff, mind ellaborating on how you did this? I'm running win 7 home premium 64bit and the simulator simply osscilates constantly.

EDIT: just loaded! Rebooted a couple times and closed VMWare completely. Now I just have to fix the time issue...

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

For what it's worth, I've noticed with my current app, which generates dynamic sound using flash.media.Sound and SampleDataEvents, that I got quite frequent freezes whenever sound was being generated.

I switched to two cores as an experiment (this is on a dual-core laptop...) and I haven't had a freeze in quite a while.  I do get frequent crashes of my app, where it simply terminates, but few or possibly no freezes with dual cores.

This suggests that, depending on the nature of the app you're testing, there may be something to Elena's suggestion to try two processors in the sim. 

It also suggests strongly that the freezing (with one core anyway) can be strongly correlated to audio generation, or possibly it's just fairly high CPU usage.  (If the latter, it might explain why switching to two cores seems to suppress the freezing.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor
PBDev
My Device: Free PlayBook

I think it's from high CPU usage. I have an app that doesn't have sound right now but it's using a lot of mouse events and animation. Moving game pieces around a board. With one core it was locking up about every two minutes or less. It hasn't locked up since I switched to two cores.