Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Socket to external java server

So I have been working on a multiplayer flash game that uses XMLSockets to communicate to a java server on my computer. Running it in cs5 the game connects to the server just fine, but when I run the swf it doesn't connect.

I did some research on it and found that I cannot connect to external domain unless I do some cross domain workaround? (Or something like that, im not entirely sure)

Can someone send me towards the right direction, I'm a bit frustrated and I'm hoping I didn't hit a dead end on this game. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 1st Gen BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB (Gift from RIM :D)
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Socket to external java server

When you use AIR to develop apps for the PlayBook, you shouldn't run into any of those problems, because the security restrictions of the AIR Runtime are not as harsh as the restrictions imposed by the Flash Player. AIR allows you to both access remote resources and the local filesystem.
When you use Flash CS5 to debug your content, the restrictions are lifted for debugging purposes, but these restrictions exist everywhere else. You have to package your app for the AIR runtime to be able to access all resources.
This is a signature. Don't expect anything fancy, for I would use an image if I could. But I can't, so cope with it...