Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
funkyboy
My Device: BB10 DevB

Splash screen on bb10

Hi,

I am trying to integrate a splash screen into my application.

png files are in the root dir (and also in src).

Here is my bar-descriptor.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<qnx>
<initialWindow>
<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
<transparent>false</transparent>
<aspectRatio>portrait</aspectRatio>
<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>
</initialWindow>

<category>core.media</category>
<icon><image>Icon.png</image></icon>
<asset path="portrait.png">portrait.png</asset>
<splashscreen>:smileytongue:ortrait.png</splashscreen>

<permission>access_internet</permission>

</qnx>

Compiler says: Error: Attribute image: file cannot be found in the list of packaged files: portrait.png

Using: FDT, Flex SDK 4.6 and blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.0.0

Any suggestion?

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Splash screen on bb10

See my answer to your icon question for how to find where you flow is actually packaging your splash screen image.  The procedure to fix would be the same, assuming the splash screen image is indeed getting packaged into your bar file.

Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer

[ Edited ]
I am having this problem this problem (without a packaging error) today but did not have it yesterday before having to reload system software. Current version is 10.9.9.339. I don't know or not this version of system software was the same one that was working fine yesterday. I checked the contents of the bar file and all images are where they are supposed to be (in the root directory) The icon image is found and displays correctly on the Dev Alpha device. Very, very strange.

Update:

I also notice that the default splashscreen also shows when I open the system settings app on the device. It displays for a brief moment before the settings page is displayed. I think its an OS bug - anyone else see this phenomenon?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

System settings is an AIR app. They probably dont have it set.
New Contributor
funkyboy

The point is exactly that I can't find a way to package it in the .bar

I have tried to put it in src, project root, assets, bin but no luck at all.

And it seems there is no default image to overwrite in some key folder (as I did with the icon)

Developer
UberschallSamsara

@MauriceRice: FWIW I have 10.9.9.399 on my Dev Alpha and my splash screen is getting packaged and being displayed.  I'm on the gold BB10 AIR SDK.

Developer
UberschallSamsara

funkyboy wrote:

The point is exactly that I can't find a way to package it in the .bar

I have tried to put it in src, project root, assets, bin but no luck at all.

And it seems there is no default image to overwrite in some key folder (as I did with the icon)

I haven't used FDT so don't know about whatever bugs/quirks it may have.  Using the commandline tools I have never had a problem packaging and displaying icons or splash screens, except when I have had an error with my packaging commandline options or an error in my bar-descriptor.xml file, or just failed to place the graphical asset in the directory called out in bar-descriptor.xml.  I suppose FDT may have a bug or quirk with its packaging options that doesn't play

nice with the blackberry-airpackager command options.

New Contributor
funkyboy

Solved.

I had to go in the project settings and add it as a resource to be packaged.

Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer

UberschallSamsara wrote:

@MauriceRice: FWIW I have 10.9.9.399 on my Dev Alpha and my splash screen is getting packaged and being displayed.  I'm on the gold BB10 AIR SDK.

I have a landscape-only app and there was no way that the approved settings would work. I finally created a version of  my splashscreen by rotating the original version through 90 degrees. I referenced both images in the xml using the notation for both portrait and landscape images. The app is now picking up the rotated "portrait" image and displaying it at startup. Or maybe its displaying the original landscape version - who knows? 

Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

MauriceRice wrote:

UberschallSamsara wrote:

I have a landscape-only app and there was no way that the approved settings would work. I finally created a version of  my splashscreen by rotating the original version through 90 degrees. I referenced both images in the xml using the notation for both portrait and landscape images. The app is now picking up the rotated "portrait" image and displaying it at startup. Or maybe its displaying the original landscape version - who knows? 

Ok, it's starting to make sense that the problem could be just with apps that have only a landscape oriented splash screen resource.  All but one of my apps/app experiments are portrait mode only.  My one landscape-only app has a 1280x768 (i.e. landscape orientation) splash screen image that *was* working just fine prior to updating to 10.9.9.399.  The sequence of events is a bit of a blur, because I refrained from doing the update the prior weekend, due to cranking out simple apps for the port-a-thon, and the caffiene and sleep deprivation erased some of my memories. :smileyfrustrated:  But I think I'm seeing exactly what you're seeing - the generic BB10 splash screen for apps that only have a landscape oriented custom splash screen, on 10.9.9.399. 

Sounds like a bug, RIM.