Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Sprint doesn't want the playbook

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Sprint doesn't want the playbook

As I understand it, from reading about two dozen articles on this, it sounds like Sprint has a WiMAX network, which hasn't gained much traction and it seems like they're abandoning it now in favour of LTE, a much more popular 4G network. Announcing that they're "abandoning the 4G PlayBook" seems like a bit of a smokescreen if what they're really doing is abandoning WiMAX.

RIM immediately announced that they're are also focusing on an LTE version as the 4G model, so this doesn't look like it's a particular big deal to me. I even get the impression that people think this explains why the 4G model was not released this summer: possibly not delays on RIM's part so much as Sprint rethinking their overall strategy.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
virtualscribe
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev Alpha B, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Sprint; wifi only for testing

Re: Sprint doesn't want the playbook

This isn't about Blackberry or PlayBook. Sprint will make more money selling iPhone and IOS solutions.

So its a directive from the top; get rid of competition to milk more from Apple's hardware when its introduced in the Fall.

I just went through this deception/inception this week, with the HP TouchPad. The old guy CEO Mark Hurd's project died when he left because of under the table antics with a contractor. New guy CEO Leo Apothekar quickly disposed of the old project to accomodate his background in enterprise. All the work of all these people thrown away, because theres more money in a future pivot. 

If Apple is introduced to Sprint this Fall, their US market share far outweighs current smartphone/tablet than Blackberry. I'm still trying to recover from the shock of a very promising development environment in HP WebOS; I hope this doesnt derail PlayBook development the same way.

===============

Film App: Watch feature length Public Domain and Indie Films in your Blackberry Tablet, share, and post comments - with no ads: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/42793
Please use plain text.