Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: Stage3D

Maybe the QNX AIR team is very busy now, because they need to finish the BB10 AIR SDK until May. But i could sleep better if they give us a sign that 3.2 will come some day.

I read yesterday that the QNX Team is "bullish" on HTML5. Hopefully they will not drop AIR in favour of HTML in the future.

Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22

VERY exiting examples here:

http://www.flashstreamworks.com/2012/02/28/five-air-3-2-stage3d-mobile-demos-that-will-knock-your-so...

The last video shows an unbelievable smooth ui made with Alternativa3D. Well, thats the future for AIR isnt it? If 3.2 doesnt come to us, i will jump the ship for sure.

Please use plain text.
Developer
georg22

Sorry for the third post in row. But i found a nice article: http://joshblog.net/2012/03/07/rivers-of-olympus-goes-starling/ 

AIR developer are beginning now to port their apps to Starling, which is a small 2D framework on top of Stage 3d. It matches the displaylist and container of flash.* so the conversion is not difficult.  Stage 3d is not a crazy feature to make 3d games, it adds native-like userexperience to all kinds of apps - and to be honest, we have do deal with bad perfomance on AIR applications every day. Thats why Stage3D is so important, especially for Playbook/BB10 in the future.

From the article:

"Overall, the full conversion, including both UI controls and the game itself took about a week, including heavy testing to be sure that I didn’t introduce any new bugs from the differences between the old and new renderers. With the UI controls stabilized now, and more experience in the steps required to do an ambitious conversion like this, I think I can finish the next game in about 3-4 full working days. It’s still not as simple as changing imports from flash.* tostarling*, but it would be a lot worse if I were using a 2D framework that didn’t match the classic display list so closely. I cannot stress enough how nice it is that Starling matches the display list."

And

"Starling running on Stage 3D is obviously visually smoother than renderMode gpu in my games. Most devices I tested on were consistently running at over 30 frames per second, with many close to 60. Choppy framerates and hiccups, which can be all too common with renderMode gpu, already feel like a thing of the past. My games aren’t super intense, but this seems like a pretty significant improvement that will greatly increase what AIR mobile developers are able to do, especially on some older devices."

Please use plain text.
Contributor
peter_betos
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

+1000 right here. 2D rendering will always 60-fps achievable using Stage3D

Please use plain text.
Contributor
delcasda
My Device: playbook

Please use plain text.
Contributor
caneraltinbasak

There is no point in developing games without Stage3D in Adobe Air after 3.2 release. With Starling Framework and Stage3D, the GPU accelareted API is very similar to Adobe native graphics API. I am sure that everybody will use it from now on, BB will fall behind other platforms if it doesn't support it.

You can be sure that developers are looking forward for Air 3.2 launch for playbook.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fabiobiondi

I'm agree.

Before Starling and Stage3D the Playbook was my favourite device because AIR applications was faster than IOS  or Android. 
But now I forgot the display list and I only use Starling and Stage3D frameworks. My applicaition has never been so fast!!!

Stage3d is the next step for Flash/Flex developers! 

-
Fabio Biondi
Adobe Certified Instructor
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Another reason for Stage3D: this is a preview of a new mapping service (a kind of Google Maps/Earth) which uses Stage3D to render...

More info:

http://www.mapply.com/

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Very cool app.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
delcasda
My Device: playbook

PlayBook  OS  v2.0.1.358   is now available for download. So far I did not find detailed release notes but does not look it include any AIR update

Please use plain text.