Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Stage3D

Another cool Stage3D app for the ipad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1faJ2V_BRU

And the first UI-Frameworks arrive: https://github.com/joshtynjala/foxhole-starling.

Its a nice start. The Starling-community seems to make good progress.

Too sad, that we can not make similar experiences with the Playbook...

Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

I also would like to support this idea: bring Adobe Air 3.2 + Flash Player 11.2, and future versions, to the Playbook ASAP!

My 2 cents:

Adobe is betting a lot on taking the Flash and Air platforms to the next level of premium 3D graphics and hardware acceleration.

I think it's a nice move because HTML 5 and WebGL are not as good yet BUT there are big players behind the web technologies, including Adobe, to make it seriously optimized. The competition will be tought.

What about RIM and the Playbook on all this? For sure there will be benefits for the WebKit browser - it already supports fairly WebGL and CSS3 hardware acceleration and Canvas in the future - and that's great.

Why on earth not seize the big opportunity from Adobe's big bet?! Please do focus on Cascades (Qt + NDK) but don't neglect your Air developers. We were the first ones to make apps for the tablet before WebWorks and the NDK were out. But we might stop if RIM doesn't provide us the latest Air updates. Nobody wants that.

Cheers.

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CaptainN
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Anyone try an Android captive runtime build since the 2.0.1 update?

Just to note a personal preference - I'd be happy with stage3d only in AIR even if not in the browser plugin, if that could make it more likely to happen.

Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

The Android AIR runtime depends on the Android NDK which will never be supported in the Android Player. It would far too much work to emulate all the native Linux APIs.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CaptainN

Oh, right. Bummer.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TongueDar
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook
My Carrier: Not relevant.

[ Edited ]

Thew 2.0 SDK from BlackBerry supports captive runtime!  :Santa:

"Captive runtime support

allows developers to launch their application with a packaged runtime that is newer than the runtime on the device. (106787)"

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/documentation/ww_air_release_notes/new_in_this_release_19703...

Has anyone else tried this yet?

It's late here, so I need to catch some sleep, but I'm going to try and deploy a Stage 3D test to my PlayBook later today. 

Hopefully this is for real and there's no limitations.  I can't go back to the display list for anything other than the GUI now,  Stage 3D has spoiled me.

If it works on my PlayBook, I'll have to celebrate! :smileyhappy:

+++++

I decided sleep can wait.

I did a quick test and compiled a Stage 3D captive app to my PlayBook that runs great on my Android tablet.  It launched and then quit.   So I tried a fresh mobile project that simply draws a box in a sprite and it also quit after launch... 

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using 3.3 for my AIR SDK? Captive runtime should make this a non issue.  

Anyways, hopefully it's just something on my end.  And it's been a while since I deployed anything to my PlayBook and I have to say that the 2.0 sdk made the whole process 10x easier than before.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

You'd need a runtime to include. There is no such runtime for PlayBook yet.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
TongueDar
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook
My Carrier: Not relevant.

Yep, that would be important and even if I had been wide awake, I probably would have still forgotten about that aspect. :smileyhappy:

Anyways, this is still good though, because this means that they are readying a newer runtime. It also means that AIR's updates will no longer be tied to each OS update, so here's hoping that RIM can keep pace with the other platforms.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CaptainN

I wonder if RIM could use that as a way to reduce their testing costs - there is no way for a captive runtime system to break compatability with app world apps.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

At this point in time, we do not have an expected release date for an update to Adobe AIR used in the BlackBerry Tablet OS.  We’re working with Adobe to define a timeline to upgrade to the newer runtime.  Once we know that timeline, we will share it with you.  In the meantime, RIM will continue to support AIR app development for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 using AIR 3.1.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.