Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
CaptainN
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Stage3D

That the new version is eventually coming is great news. Thanks!

Contributor
CaptainN
My Device: PlayBook

How about at this time? Now? :-)
New Contributor
olsn
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

i guess this is not gonna happen - the playbook was half-dead before, but i guess they kinda burried it more and more now... sad sad story

Developer
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

it has nothing to do with the weak success of the current  playbook. AIR apps will run on BB10 as well, so the question is will Stage3d be available on future BB10 devices (phones and tablets). I guess, RIM will not produce new playbooks until it is clear, that BB10 phones are selling well and RIM can survive as a hardware-company. If BB10 on phones is a success, there will be a demand for new tablets too.

Now i want to use Stage3d for BB10 phones in the first place.

New Contributor
olsn

maybe i got this wrong, but i though this thread was mainly about AIR 3.2 and Stage3D for QNX(Playbook) and not BB10 - the issue here is, that Stage3D was publicly released for Android and the AIR iOS-packager more than 3 month ago and there was eben a beta-phase before that, but RIM has not yet shown ANY signs that it is going to adapt AIR3.2 for the current PlayBook OS 2.0 nor are there signs that they are even working on that...

Developer
georg22

BB10 is an other  version of the QNX-based Playbook OS which will also run well on phones and the playbook will get BB10 in an update "later this year".  There are AIR APIs for BB10 already available (beta). So, yes i think its important for the whole platform (phones and tablets) to get AIR 3.2. Hopefully we see some signs soon.

New Contributor
olsn

oh, okay - well i did not know that - probably should have better kept track of the whole thing - however, thanks clarifying that! :-)

then it probably makes sense for them that they are not going to release Stage3D seperatly for the current Tablet OS2.0 but with BB10 instead... but we still have to wait a long time... :-(
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I would not think Stage3D would be available when BB10 phones come out. It is the same OS as the tablet and therefore the same AIR runtime (3.1) as the PlayBook. RIM is hinted that 3.2 would not occur until after BB10 is out due to limited resources and support from Adobe. I will guess that RIM's stance on performance is if you need it, use the NDK, not AIR. Just done expect anything until after the fall of 2012.
Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

Flash Player 11.3 and Adobe Air 3.3 is out!

Ok RIM, now you have twice the opportunity to give us Stage3D. The latests or the oldest version. Doesn't matter that much which one as long as you give it! But since you guys are a great company and want to provide the latest technologies, I bet you'll make the right decision.

By the way, the future of Flash/Air is still bright! A major new feature is coming to the runtime: Workers API for multi-threading! 

Please don't stop supporting and updating this amazing platform.

Thanks.

Cheers!
Developer
georg22

Wow. Stage3d and multi-threading could make AIR apps rock. I am a little bit disappointed about the limitations of Cascades UI-QML for now (compared to Qt5). No shapes, no filters, no drawing API, no vector graphic, no 3D, no 2.5D... So all you can do is scaling prebuild bitmaps?! OK, for c++ guys it might be nice. But i will not switch soon to Cascades because for now AIR offers so much more...

So RIM should do everything to include these performance features and update AIR. You can have a second platform with good performance and crossplatform capabilities with ease. Please.