Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Stage3D

Surprise there is not a bug report on this. Please vote if you want 3.2/3.2/Stage3d implemented.

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-60
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Here is a fresh list of games aready developed with Stage3d.

RIM could attract the developer of the games simply by updating AIR.

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Saw that. I think that is just an alternative to Flash developers to bring their games to the BB10/Playbook devices without having to learn a new language and get better performance. It looks like an interesting project. However, RIM continues to say they are behind AIR and that the latest run times will be looked at after BB10 is out. If after ~six months after BB10, we still have not heard about Stage3D and latest run time, then we can say AIR is dead with RIM. At least this framework would ease a lot of developers pain to produce C++ bindings.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22

Saw that too and i would like to know if it is theoretically possible to compile an BB10 AIR app (including the BB10 controls) with haXe to a native app. If i understand it right, it should be possible to import regular AS3 SWCs into a haXe project, but i am not sure where are the limits. So does anybody know if this is possible?

Imagine, we could continue to build AIR apps, which perform like native apps (on every single platform) and dont need the AIR runtime anymore... (dream).

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

The one thing I did not see easily are the use of controls (buttons, dropdowns, etc.) It does need the BB10 libraries.

What is good about AIR, is that the API is easy to use and it works. Having to deal with C/C++ referencing and garbage collection is not fun. Haxe seems great for fames, just not certain how it would work for business apps.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22

I dont think you have to deal with C++.  You use the haXe language which has exactly the same syntax like AS3 and has the same libs with the same classes. So as long as the classes in a Flash SWC use the standard Flash API, it can be imported and used in haXe too. The Flex lib wont work, because it uses some undocumented features which are not compatible to haXe.

But other Flash-UI components for mobile for example the "MadComponents" should work out of the Box, the BB AIR libs maybe too. But who has the time to try it. Lots of "should" and "could"...

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

If HAXE was the primary language for BB10, then the developers could create apps for either C/C++, WebWorks or AIR, depending on other libraries. You already have hundreds of developers who picked up AS3 syntax, and now you forced them to use NDK/C/C++/QML/Qt/JavaScript/bb.js, etc, it would have been more productive to just create a HAXE library for BB10.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
singmajesty
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G
My Carrier: AT&T

Hey everyone,

First, let me debunk the myth that talking about NME means that RIM has given up on Adobe AIR. The team that supports Adobe AIR internally is entirely separate from this work with Haxe and NME.

In the most recent benchmark I saw (http://esdot.ca/site/2012/runnermark-scores-july-18-2012), NME scores 3121 on a competing tablet, while Starling, ND2D and Genome2D score between 818 and 1210 in the same test. I know that Stage3D can make a performance difference over renderMode=GPU, but it is not the same as native.

The Haxe programming language is very similar to Actionscript, though having used both (I used Actionscript for 12 years, and have used Haxe for 2 or 3) I really enjoy the syntax and features of Haxe, more.

NME implements a huge amount of the standard Flash API, and also supports a number of unique features, such as joystick support, an integrated Assets class which can be used synchronously, and a drawTiles API for batch rendering of tilesheets.

If you want to moving a business application from Flash to native, you will have to consider how your UI will be generated. Flex is strictly Actionscript, but you could use custom UI similar to how you would implement it in Flash. NME supports integration with a Haxe SWF library that does a great job of parsing and rendering SWF content, this is how the assets are pulled in for the "Mr Nibbles" game on App World. It is beta quality, so if you experience issues this can be improved.

I've been using NME for only two years, and the only time I debug anything in C++ is when I create a new feature. Writing a game, I've never had to debug native code. Existing Actionscript can be used on the Haxe Flash target, but that code will not be able to convert over to C++ for native.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Started new thread on Haxe/NME with some questions.
Please use plain text.