Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Stage3D

Yes, a project like this could be the goto UI framework for all mobile devices. Tim, what would be the license to this? This could be a selling point to bring more devs to BB, if the GUI framework is fast, good and some of the unique aspects to BB (invocation, notification) where a different SDK and probably kept proprietary. Push would be nice to be abstrated out.
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The experimental code we have right now is only focused on a UI framework. Right now its goal is specifically on a BlackBerry ui. Not sure on what the license would be yet.

It may start out as BlackBerry focused as the initial contribution with a less permissive license and then the community could steer it in the direction they want.

I don't believe the current code was built with theming in mind. But if the community did some refactoring to go cross platform then we could look to help make that happen with the appropriate permissive licensing and separate out the BlackBerry theme

Not 100% sure yet, that's why we're looking for feedback Smiley Happy

We're also looking to make some apis open source ane's
Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: n/a

With the continual moving goal-posts of the various AIR versions you are working with, do you have a timescale of when a Stage3D version of the SDK will hit developers?

It's been a long time coming so far and with Adobe pushing updates out quite quickly these days there is a danger of not committing to a specific version as the next one or two are already on the horizon.

Obvuiously BB10 is also a factor in this so it still feels a long way to go. 

Cheers

Greg

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

greg209 wrote:

With the continual moving goal-posts of the various AIR versions you are working with, do you have a timescale of when a Stage3D version of the SDK will hit developers?

It's been a long time coming so far and with Adobe pushing updates out quite quickly these days there is a danger of not committing to a specific version as the next one or two are already on the horizon.

+1.  

If the porting process is so manual that new AIR versions can't be ingested without major re-work and upheaval to schedules then perhaps the process is broken, either at Adobe's end, BBRY's end, or both.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

Some ANEs would be great too. Some specific ones I'd be interested in are:

1. A Camera ANE. I've been playing with Inspirit's CaptureDevice for iOS, and the speed is many multiples faster than the built in AS3 Camera stuff on those devices (probably it's similar on Android - but I haven't tried it). Something similar would be great for BBOS. CaptureDevice is on GitHub but its LGPL license makes it impossible to use on iOS - which is why I only play with it. That probably wouldn't be a problem for Android or BBOS (are ANEs statically linked on those platforms like they are on iOS?) - so maybe even just porting that with it's current license would even be enough.

2. A way to encode bitmap frames from the GPU in some kind of very performant way. I'd specifically like to be able to process video on the GPU in realtime, and then pass that back to an encoder. I haven't seen any easy ANEs for that on other platforms. BBOS could be the first!

3. Altneratively to #2 above, a way to put decoded h.264 video onto a GPU texture would be so fantastic (as far as I can tell, SGX hardware is fully capable of this, but on the platforms I've investigated it's hard or impossible to do it because of API imposed restrictions). It would open the door for a bunch of uses, such as skybox mapped video, or realtime post processing (which is what I'm interested in).

Retired

UberschallSamsara wrote:

greg209 wrote:

+1.  

If the porting process is so manual that new AIR versions can't be ingested without major re-work and upheaval to schedules then perhaps the process is broken, either at Adobe's end, BBRY's end, or both.

It all depends on the type and scale of changes that have been made in the runtime.  Some are quick, some take longer to port and merge.  We are currently focusing on a specific version of the AIR runtime.  I know you all want me to say which one.. and that's understandable.  However, I'm not able to give out that information here.  Once I write it, it will be law and expected Smiley Happy

We still need to make sure that everything is working well.  But be assured, that the version will have Stage3D and we'll let you know which version as soon as we can.

As far as timescale, the best I can give is that it will be this year for both the beta and the gold release.  I can also say that an upgraded runtime will not be in 10.0 or 10.1.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

To wet our whistle some more, it would be cool to provide some performance metric between BB10 and BB10+stage 3d. Things like 2d polygon creation, frame rates, cpu under various actions, etc.
Retired

jtegen wrote:
To wet our whistle some more, it would be cool to provide some performance metric between BB10 and BB10+stage 3d. Things like 2d polygon creation, frame rates, cpu under various actions, etc.

Hmm, I'll see what I might be able to dig up from first impressions.  We'll likely continue to tweak performance on our way to gold shipping of the runtime too.  So any numbers I find will likely be early ones.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Tim,

An open source UI framework sounds like a good idea indeed. I've often wondered why the current AIR SDK isn't open source so we can fix bugs and improve workflow. One thing I've often "bumped in to" with the BB AIR SDK's is the fact that it doesn't always degrade gracefully when run on the desktop, that different libraries need to be linked, making cross-platform development (even between PB and BB10) much more of a hassle than it needs to be.  Also, while the current SDK's are "ok" there are many areas where improvements can be made.

With an open sourced AIR SDK we could easily fix that.

As for Stage 3D - it can't come soon enough. We have at least three app concepts waiting for this for almost a year now. I know many quality game titles on other platforms use Stage3D, so providing a modern runtime is needed to bring those to BB.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

tneil wrote:

But be assured, that the version will have Stage3D and we'll let you know which version as soon as we can.

Woohoo!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o