Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
singmajesty
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G

Re: Stage3D

I think you underestimate how much work it is to get AIR running on a platform.

I was helping Adobe while they were porting AIR to run on webOS... it was a phenomenal amount of effort to get the basics working, and of course there are a lot of details, nevermind performance tuning and stress testing.

If Adobe does not include BlackBerry support in their internal builds (which I would guess they do not) then getting a new version of AIR running on BlackBerry may be almost like a new port -- not nearly as quick as flipping a switch.

New Developer
Eomono
My Device: Z10

Well, thanks for beign honest, at least now we can plan our app development schedule without including the playbook. I just hope you don't abandond it and never release this update for it.

Contributor
singmajesty
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G

If you need better performance on the PlayBook, you may be interested in a framework called NME. A friend of mine had a Flixel game that was running slow using AIR, he said that using the NME version of Flixel increased his performance on the PlayBook by 30 times

Trusted Contributor
designkros
My Device: -

[ Edited ]

OK, but you have to agree with me that it would make AIR devs much calmer if they were told any progress or dates. At least if it's Q2 2013 or Q3 2014. This is like waiting for Godot.

New Developer
Eomono
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

singmajesty wrote:

If you need better performance on the PlayBook, you may be interested in a framework called NME. A friend of mine had a Flixel game that was running slow using AIR, he said that using the NME version of Flixel increased his performance on the PlayBook by 30 times

Thank you! I've been having some performance issues with the playbook and ran out of optimization ideas. I will check that framework out.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Keep in mind, NME/Flixel is for games, not for apps. Love for NME to be expanded to include a GUI library and then allow developers to use AS3 syntax to generate C++ native code.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

designkros wrote:

OK, but you have to agree with me that it would make AIR devs much calmer if they were told any progress or dates. At least if it's Q2 2013 or Q3 2014. This is like waiting for Godot.

It's pretty clear what's going to happen. At some point, in the not too distant future, AIR on BB10 will be upgraded to support Stage3d. 

At some other point in time, maybe the same point in time. Playbook will be upgraded to BB10 (since Bb10 is just Playbook OS evolved), and then both Playbook and Z10's and Q10's will be in sync.

Trusted Contributor
designkros
My Device: -

Not too distant future is really perfect timing :smileyvery-happy: I would just want to know if I can use Stage3D in app that needs to be published at some specific date. That's all.

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

At JAM Amsterdam, the roadmap was for this calendar year.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Some of the stuff we're missing:

Away3D Showreel 2013

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands