Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Stage3D

designkros wrote:

It makes sense they have to stick with some version :smileyhappy: But I have two more questions:

1) Why it's taking so long to deliver a new version for BlackBerry 10 and not so long for iOS or Android?

2) Does it mean that it will take this long to get any newer versions of AIR when 3.5 is out?

1) The way your AIR application on other platforms works is it uses a captive runtime. On BlackBerry AIR is integrated into the operating system. We need to wait for Adobe to release a stable build then do a lot of work to get it running stable on our platform. There are also core services that rely on AIR so a lot of testing needs to go into it. Also because AIR is part of the BlackBerry OS there are only certain windows that we have to get it into OS builds and in this case AIR 3.5 will be released as a part of BlackBerry 10.2. The beta will start around the beginning of June.

2) It would be the same process as I mentioned above. There aren't a lot of new API's in 3.6-3.8, most of the changes are fixes to make it work better on iOS and Android.

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Retired
dmalik

CaptainN wrote:

BTW, any word on availability of AIR 3.5 and Stage3D on Playbook? I assume it's waiting for a port of BBOS10 back to Playbook, is there any news on that?

Yes, PlayBook would need BlackBerry 10.2 and right now there is no news on that. If there will be an update I assume it would be a big annoncement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Contributor
designkros
My Device: -

That's what I wanted to know and if the beta is coming in the beginning of June than it's soon enough to keep me calm :smileyhappy: Thanks

Trusted Contributor
designkros

dmalik wrote:

CaptainN wrote:

BTW, any word on availability of AIR 3.5 and Stage3D on Playbook? I assume it's waiting for a port of BBOS10 back to Playbook, is there any news on that?

Yes, PlayBook would need BlackBerry 10.2 and right now there is no news on that. If there will be an update I assume it would be a big annoncement.

Hope this will come as Beta the same time as for the other devices :smileyhappy:

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

BB: Please let the forum know when the beta is available. Sometimes these are put out there, but no one was told about it.
Retired
dmalik

jtegen wrote:
BB: Please let the forum know when the beta is available. Sometimes these are put out there, but no one was told about it.

Will do!

Trusted Contributor
designkros

From June 1st I'll be checking the forum every hour :smileyvery-happy: How long after the Beta we can expect real update for all users so they can download Stage3D apps?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It is a beta. Probably it will be simulator. Hopefully by then, BB figured out how individual devices can get a beta update. If a phone is controlled by a carrier, beta on a device might not be possible (hopefully though).
Trusted Contributor
designkros

Hope it's not just simulator beta :smileyhappy: It'd be much much better to be able to install the beta on the dev alpha c and the z10

Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Testing our GPU accelerated games in the Simulator... sounds brutal.

Stage3d content barely runs in debug mode, how the heck is it going to be playable in the Simulator? Hopefully this isn't the case.