06-28-2013 03:03 PM
I don't suppose we'll at least get a Playbook OS update - something that updates some of the core components, like the web browser?
Regardless of what the issues were with BB10 performance on PlayBook, it's clear that even after performance and bug fixes, the existing PlayBook browser is still a bad, laggy experience, especially with multiple tabs open on content-heavy sites. The browser is the app I and probably most folks use the most on this device, so BlackBerry would do very well to focus a smaller set of resources than it would have on BB10 for PlayBook on relieving the pain that still exists at this particular pain point.
06-29-2013 03:07 AM
It doesn't have to be BB10 with all the features but hope some major OS update for the PlayBook will come. The browser for example would use some more smoothiness And we would also love Stage3D for the PlayBook, right? But I'm afraid the hope for Stage3D on PlayBook is now over
07-01-2013 01:29 AM
Maybe the QNX AIR team is very busy now, because they need to finish the BB10 AIR SDK until May. But i could sleep better if they give us a sign that 3.2 will come some day.
I read yesterday that the QNX Team is "bullish" on HTML5. Hopefully they will not drop AIR in favour of HTML in the future.
07-03-2013 08:02 AM
I've put my tought on this matter on this forum post. Please add on what would like to see as well:
You know what would be crazy cool for Adobe AIR on BB10? Workers!
Not even Adobe supports workers on other mobile platforms so BB10 could be the first and only! Having "multithreaded" AS3 with Stage3D would be extremelly nice and competitive! One can dream right?
07-25-2013 03:07 AM
Let me see if I can summarize to draw in everything from the last few exchanges
- We have some experimental code for creating BB10 core UI based on Stage3D
- It's experimental code only and has not been documented on how to use it
- We are considering making it open source code once we have Stage3D available to developers on a future beta of BB10. We are not looking to make something available on desktop leading up to that point
- We don't have goals of creating a new standard cross platform UI framework for AIR on Stage3D
- We would however not object to the community morphing the code to do so under the proper licensing
- We haven't figured out what licensing would be yet. It may be a combination of permissive or not-permissive or dual licensing
- We have not determined if we will do this or not, we are in the gathering feedback phase and will also be dependent on BlackBerry's comfort on licensing
Any news on this, Tim?