Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Stage3D

CaptainN wrote:

I don't suppose we'll at least get a Playbook OS update - something that updates some of the core components, like the web browser?

+1.

Regardless of what the issues were with BB10 performance on PlayBook, it's clear that even after performance and bug fixes, the existing PlayBook browser is still a bad, laggy experience, especially with multiple tabs open on content-heavy sites.  The browser is the app I and probably most folks use the most on this device, so BlackBerry would do very well to focus a smaller set of resources than it would have on BB10 for PlayBook on relieving the pain that still exists at this particular pain point.

Trusted Contributor
designkros
My Device: -

It doesn't have to be BB10 with all the features but hope some major OS update for the PlayBook will come. The browser for example would use some more smoothiness :smileyhappy: And we would also love Stage3D for the PlayBook, right? But I'm afraid the hope for Stage3D on PlayBook is now over :smileysad:

New Developer
robebo116
My Device: 8900

Maybe the QNX AIR team is very busy now, because they need to finish the BB10 AIR SDK until May. But i could sleep better if they give us a sign that 3.2 will come some day.

I read yesterday that the QNX Team is "bullish" on HTML5. Hopefully they will not drop AIR in favour of HTML in the future.

Trusted Contributor
designkros
My Device: -

Until May? What?

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

I've put my tought on this matter on this forum post. Please add on what would like to see as well:

Playbook OS 2.2 - forget about BB10 on Playbook

You know what would be crazy cool for Adobe AIR on BB10? Workers!

Not even Adobe supports workers on other mobile platforms so BB10 could be the first and only! Having "multithreaded" AS3 with Stage3D would be extremelly nice and competitive! One can dream right?

Cheers!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

AIR 3.5 is coming in 10.2. There is a beta currently available.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

tneil wrote:

Let me see if I can summarize to draw in everything from the last few exchanges :smileyhappy:

• We have some experimental code for creating BB10 core UI based on Stage3D
  • It's experimental code only and has not been documented on how to use it
  • We are considering making it open source code once we have Stage3D available to developers on a future beta of BB10.  We are not looking to make something available on desktop leading up to that point
  • We don't have goals of creating a new standard cross platform UI framework for AIR on Stage3D
  • We would however not object to the community morphing the code to do so under the proper licensing
  • We haven't figured out what licensing would be yet.  It may be a combination of permissive or not-permissive or dual licensing
  • We have not determined if we will do this or not, we are in the gathering feedback phase and will also be dependent on BlackBerry's comfort on licensing 

Any news on this, Tim?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Not yet.. still working through the licensing aspect of it

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

tneil wrote:

Not yet.. still working through the licensing aspect of it

Bump?!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

No updates yet

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter