Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane

Re: Stage3D

I'm still having fun using AS3, as it's my primary programming language for game contests. Of course, it was inevitable at some point that Stage3D had to be used. And with iOS and Android...

Also, the reason why I restarted this thread:

thinking that with the new simulator, BB *MIGHT* have added some kind of support, I compiled a small Stage3D-game to a *.bar (blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.1.0, but had to add <application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.0"> and set the swf to swf version 13). But I got a *.bar :smileyhappy:

Installing worked as well, but ONLY in the Dev Alpha C simulator, but unfortunately, the app crashed at start. That's why I wanted to check if all you others found out something new ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi everyone,

Thought I would join the conversation.  As an FYI we're still working through the linking errors on the bring up of the new AIR runtime, that yes... will support Stage3D.  So it is on its way.  Each time we get version X up and running we seem to then get access to source for version Y of the runtime.  It's a bit of a chase, but we're narrowing in on the version that we'll support.

We've also been experimenting and playing around with a Stage3D application framework that would have the BB10 core controls, screen transitions etc.

We've been thinking about putting this framework up into github so that it is off the OS and the community can contribute/collaborate etc.  Kind of like what we did with bbUI.js for web developers.  Not meant to be a mainstream type of thing, but something that some folks may find useful and experimental.

It would allow the continued tweaking of the framework without having to wait for OS updates

We haven't seen many Stage3D UI frameworks out there outside of games/starling (aka Feathers).  So we're not sure if it's something the community would be interested in.  It's something that we've been experimenting with and figured it would be better served out in the community than built into the OS.

We're not 100% sure of this path yet so let us know what you think :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Tim:

Are you suggesting captive runtime, so AIR would not be a part of the OS, or are you taking about the BB AIR framework/SDK?
Please use plain text.
tneil

AIR will be part of the OS..

What I'm talking about is a Stage3D UI framework kind of like Feathers for BB10 UI.  Basically an actionscript library for the UI built on top of Stage3D as an open source project that the community can participate in.

Very similar to bbUI.js. 

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
CaptainN
My Device: PlayBook

A framework like that would be so exceptionally sweet! Adobe has made it clear that they have no interest in supporting non-gaming (and certain video) uses for AIR and Flash, but I'd be happy if BB wanted to support such a desirable use case. Having it open source on GitHub would be pretty nice as well. There seems to be some latent interest out there for something like that.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

So would BB contribute a baseline codebase and architecture or would it be starting from scratch? Hate to see the wild west of forks that enhancements and support becomes a nightmare.

Is it that BB is not certain how to approach the problem, or it knows but want the community to extend what it will initially offer out of the box?

If BB has a core foundation for stage3D for its toolkits, will it work if nothing is contributed by the community?
Please use plain text.
tneil

Idea would be to start with BlackBerry providing a fully working set of code as a baseline and then see where the journey takes us
Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Sounds like an interesting plan.
Can you say which AIR runtime you are currently working with?
Please use plain text.
tneil

It's a moving target right now... We get access to different Adobe source code at different times. Which one we go with will depend on availability, stability and time to market.  We have been working with three different versions so far.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
singmajesty
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 4G

If you were to build this project and post it on GitHub with a permissive license, I would use it for all of my application development in a heartbeat
Please use plain text.