Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Re: Stage3d not displaying in os2.0! Flash11, air3, but nothing?

That line was posted in error and will be removed soon.  Stage3D is not supported in the current BlackBerry 10 SDK for Adobe AIR.  Apologies for the error.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
greg209
My Device: Playbook 16Gb

More teasing then :smileywink:

Is Stage3D planned before the first official (non-beta) drop of BB10?

Any timescales? 

I'm really looking towards this feature going forwards, but feel I might have to go to the iPad if it doesn't come soon to the PlayBook  

Greg

Please use plain text.
Developer
greg209

Can confirm the Stage3D references have now been removed from both the 2.0 and 3.0 (BB10 beta) SDK download pages.

The wait continues..... :smileysad:

Greg

Please use plain text.
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

[ Edited ]

At this point in time, we do not have an expected release date for an update to Adobe AIR used in the BlackBerry Tablet OS.  We’re working with Adobe to define a timeline to upgrade to the newer runtime.  Once we know that timeline, we will share it with you.  In the meantime, RIM will continue to support AIR app development for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 using AIR 3.1.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
greg209

Thanks for the info Mark. If nothing else, it does imply that there is a level of committment from RIM to support AIR going forwards which is something we can look forward too.

It's just recently, with all the excitement around BB10, Cascades, native stuff, etc us AIR developers feel a little cast aside and forgotten. From a developer perspective AIR makes perfect sense but from a platform/company perspective I suppose the 'more' native capable platforms could be seen as better alternative to showcase products.

Certainly, with the early 'mistake' of posting the Stage3D capability, along with previous similar revelations from ages ago, I suspect it's an inevitability, however, simply just a waiting game. Unfortunately, that 'waiting' is discouraging for developers.

Thanks

Greg

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

See my other post on this. Don't expect AIR 3.2 for BB10 or the PB until after BB10 is released. Everything is focused on getting BB10 out with AIR 3.1 (and other SDKs). Most likely the path will either be:

1) AIR 3.2 -> BB10 -> PB
or
2) BB10 -> PB -> AIR 3.2 -> BB10 -> PB

After BB10 is released, there will be one SDK for all BB devices (phones and tablets). Due to the complexity of the effort and the need to get Adobe to assist in getting 3.2 over, we will see BB10 on the PB before we see AIR 3.2 in BB10. This was reading in-between the lines of discussions with RIM. Keep in mind that everything is very fluid right now. It is not that RIM does not want to openly discuss this, it is that they really do not have a full picture of when this will occur. If Adobe steps up more, then expect it sooner. RIM devs are very excited about what can be done with Stage3D. It might help to start asking Adobe to help out RIM on this. Still may not change the current "plan", but it wont hurt.

Just remember that everything is about BB10, Cascade, and HTML5 right *now*. Adobe AIR is the most mature framework they have right now. So it does not too much sense to spend more time on that when the other frameworks are in need of developer bandwidth. And without BB10 being really good, it wont matter much about AIR 3.2 on BB then.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
danzen
My Device: none

Excellent - thanks!  Looking forward to it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
greg209

Hey @jtegen I had pretty much come to exactly that conclusion after the recent conversations.

I reckon BB10 at 3.1 will hit the streets, then to 3.2 will follow. The question will then be at what point does the Playbook get BB10 at the phone launch. With a rumoured August to October, updates to the PB are gonna be 6 months away IMHO.

I've got the BB10 NDK, BB10 Air SDK and the BB10 WebWorks SDK downloaded so I might have a dabble with those in the meantime to see what all the excitement is about :smileywink: Either that or get  a Stage3D app running on the desktop, ready to hit the shelves when it arrives on the PB.

Greg

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I would also encourage people to contact Adobe in a fashion possible to get them to help RIM with the update. RIM still may not be in a position to do anything about it just now, but at least to get the ball rolling.
Please use plain text.
Developer
TongueDar
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook

I checked with Adobe the other month on the prerelase program and they stated that RIM was handling their own thing.

I'd rather Adobe handle it though, because they're doing a fantastic job with AIR for Android and iOS right now.

Please use plain text.